Re: yanking linewise

    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
      Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
      > I've just installed Vim 6.2 for MacOS X from swdev, and I've found a
      > pretty frustrating problem.
      >
      > When I yank a line with Y or yy, and then paste it with 'p' it does not
      > paste to its own line. It pastes at the cursor position.
      >
      > I know this works just fine with Vim on GNU/Linux and Win32.
      >
      > Has anyone else seen this?
      >
      > Y and y are not mapped.

      I cannot reproduce this. Maybe 'p' is mapped?

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Ricardo SIGNES
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
        * Benji Fisher <benji@...> [2003-07-01T09:27:55]
        > Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
        > >When I yank a line with Y or yy, and then paste it with 'p' it does not
        > >paste to its own line. It pastes at the cursor position.
        >
        > I cannot reproduce this. Maybe 'p' is mapped?

        Nope.

        I found the problem this morning -- well, strull found it. I had
        clipboard set to unnamed, as I wanted to yank to the clipboard. It
        seems that the MacOS keyboard is munging line endings somehow.

        When I left the cb option undefined, the problem went away.

        --
        rjbs
      • Ben Fowler
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
          At 11:07 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
          >* Benji Fisher <benji@...> [2003-07-01T09:27:55]
          >> Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
          >> >When I yank a line with Y or yy, and then paste it with 'p' it does not
          >> >paste to its own line. It pastes at the cursor position.
          >>
          >> I cannot reproduce this. Maybe 'p' is mapped?
          >
          >Nope.
          >
          >I found the problem this morning -- well, strull found it. I had
          >clipboard set to unnamed, as I wanted to yank to the clipboard. It
          >seems that the MacOS keyboard is munging line endings somehow.
          >
          >When I left the cb option undefined, the problem went away.

          Is this a bug in the MacOS version? If so, can you tell us

          1. What you were doing?
          2. What actually happened
          3. What you expected to happen?

          MacOS X should use Unix line ending throughout.

          Ben

          Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
        • Ricardo SIGNES
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
            * Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T11:16:42]
            > At 11:07 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
            > >I found the problem this morning -- well, strull found it. I had
            > >clipboard set to unnamed, as I wanted to yank to the clipboard. It
            > >seems that the MacOS keyboard is munging line endings somehow.
            > >
            > >When I left the cb option undefined, the problem went away.
            >
            > Is this a bug in the MacOS version? If so, can you tell us
            >
            > 1. What you were doing?
            > 2. What actually happened
            > 3. What you expected to happen?
            >
            > MacOS X should use Unix line ending throughout.

            Sure.

            I'm running OS X v10.2.6 and Vim 6.2.14 for OS X as downloaded from
            swdev. Here's a minimal test example.

            I begin gvim by calling it from the command line with -u NONE -U NONE.

            I insert text so that the buffer reads:

            -(begin)-
            Alpha
            Beta
            Gamma
            -(end)-

            I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp

            My buffer now reads:

            -(begin)-
            Alpha
            Beta
            Gamma
            Beta
            -(end)-

            I undo.

            I :set cb=unnamed

            I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp

            My buffer now reads:

            -(begin)-
            Alpha
            Beta
            GamBeta
            ma
            -(end)-

            --
            rjbs
          • Ben Fowler
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
              At 11:41 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
              >* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T11:16:42]
              > > At 11:07 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
              > > >When I left the cb option undefined, the problem went away.
              >>
              >> Is this a bug in the MacOS version? If so, can you tell us
              >>
              >> 1. What you were doing?
              >> 2. What actually happened
              >> 3. What you expected to happen?
              >>
              >> MacOS X should use Unix line ending throughout.
              >
              >Sure.
              >
              >I'm running OS X v10.2.6 and Vim 6.2.14 for OS X as downloaded from
              >swdev. Here's a minimal test example.
              >
              >I begin gvim by calling it from the command line with -u NONE -U NONE.
              >
              >I insert text so that the buffer reads:
              >
              >-(begin)-
              >Alpha
              >Beta
              >Gamma
              >-(end)-
              >
              >I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp
              >
              >My buffer now reads:
              >
              >-(begin)-
              >Alpha
              >Beta
              >Gamma
              >Beta
              >-(end)-
              >
              >I undo.
              >
              >I :set cb=unnamed
              >
              >I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp
              >
              >My buffer now reads:
              >
              >-(begin)-
              >Alpha
              >Beta
              >GamBeta
              >ma
              >-(end)-

              Very clear.

              Which is the correct behaviour? I assume the former.

              When I tried to reproduce this with a recent version:
              ~
              ~ VIM - Vi IMproved
              ~
              ~ version 6.2.14

              I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.

              I enclose mr 'bugreport.vim' result.

              Ben
            • Ricardo SIGNES
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                * Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T12:06:19]
                > At 11:41 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                > > [ bug report ]
                >
                > Which is the correct behaviour? I assume the former.

                The correct behaviour -- found in gVim and Vim on Win32 and GNU/Linux
                (with and without X11) is the former -- the linewise-yanked line is
                inserted as its own line below the line on which the cursor sits.

                > When I tried to reproduce this with a recent version:
                > ~ VIM - Vi IMproved
                > ~ version 6.2.14

                Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX? It is
                identified in :ver as "Huge version with Carbon GUI"

                > I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.
                > I enclose mr 'bugreport.vim' result.

                I don't see any enclosed file... do I misunderstand?

                --
                rjbs
              • Vadim Zeitlin
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                  On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:41:13 -0400 Ricardo SIGNES <rjbs-vim@...> wrote:

                  RS> I'm running OS X v10.2.6 and Vim 6.2.14 for OS X as downloaded from
                  RS> swdev.

                  Just to confirm that I also see the same bug with v10.2.4 (and 6.2.14), so
                  it's not 10.2.6-specific.

                  Regards,
                  VZ
                • Ben Fowler
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                    At 12:28 pm -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                    >* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T12:06:19]
                    >> At 11:41 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                    >> > [ bug report ]
                    >>
                    >> Which is the correct behaviour? I assume the former.
                    >
                    >The correct behaviour -- found in gVim and Vim on Win32 and GNU/Linux
                    >(with and without X11) is the former -- the linewise-yanked line is
                    >inserted as its own line below the line on which the cursor sits.
                    >
                    >> When I tried to reproduce this with a recent version:
                    >> ~ VIM - Vi IMproved
                    >> ~ version 6.2.14
                    >
                    >Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX? It is
                    >identified in :ver as "Huge version with Carbon GUI"

                    No, I am using one that I compiled myself.

                    :ver gives me

                    VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 06/14/03 00:58:48)
                    Included patches: 1-14
                    Compiled by bfowler@...
                    Normal version with X11-Athena GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                    -arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent +clientserver +clipboard
                    +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments +cryptv -cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd
                    -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
                    +fork() -gettext -hangul_input -iconv +insert_expand +jumplist -keymap -langmap -libcall +linebreak
                    +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
                    -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm -multi_byte +multi_lang -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra
                    -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind -signs +smartindent -sniff
                    +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse
                    +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
                    +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 +xfontset +xim -xsmp +xterm_clipboard
                    -xterm_save
                    system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
                    user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
                    user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
                    system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
                    user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
                    fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
                    Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA -g -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -I/usr/
                    X11R6/include
                    Linking:
                    gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -lXaw -lXmu -lXext -lXpm -lXt -lX11 -lncurses
                    Hit ENTER or type command to continue

                    I ran 'configure' before compiling my Vim with the .pbproj . Perhaps there is something
                    in the may that my compilation was done that hides this bug.

                    > > I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.
                    > > I enclose my 'bugreport.vim' result.
                    >
                    >I don't see any enclosed file... do I misunderstand?

                    Another copy ...
                  • Ricardo SIGNES
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                      * Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]
                      > At 12:28 pm -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                      > >Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX? It is
                      > >identified in :ver as "Huge version with Carbon GUI"
                      >
                      > No, I am using one that I compiled myself.

                      Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                      toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                      though, and that's where I see this bug!

                      > > > I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.
                      > > > I enclose my 'bugreport.vim' result.
                      > >
                      > >I don't see any enclosed file... do I misunderstand?
                      >
                      > Another copy ...

                      Maybe I'm daft, but I still don't see it. I see only the attached
                      disclaimer.

                      --
                      rjbs
                    • Ben Fowler
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                        At 7:12 am -0400 2003-07-02, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                        >* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]
                        >> At 12:28 pm -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                        > > >Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX?
                        > > No, I am using one that I compiled myself.
                        >
                        >Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                        >toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                        >though, and that's where I see this bug!

                        I see that.

                        Perhaps the next step is to engage the help of whoever compiled the version
                        with the problem.

                        >Maybe I'm daft, but I still don't see it. I see only the attached
                        >disclaimer.

                        The attachment probably got removed by the list softare. Here's
                        the info:

                        uname -a
                        Darwin dpearce.ewitness.ltd.uk 6.4 Darwin Kernel Version 6.4: Wed Jan 29 18:50:42 PST 2003; root:xnu/xnu-344.26.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

[...]
                        --- Directories and Files ---
                        $VIM = "/usr/local/share/vim"
                        directory "/usr/local/share/vim" exists
                        $VIMRUNTIME = "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62"
                        directory "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62" exists
                        "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/doc/help.txt" is readable
                        "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/doc/tags" is readable
                        "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/menu.vim" is readable
                        "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/filetype.vim" is readable
                        "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/syntax/synload.vim" is readable
                        --- Options ---
                        noautoindent equalprg= includeexpr= mousemodel=extend noshowfulltag ttimeoutlen=-1
                        noautoread noerrorbells noincsearch mousetime=500 noshowmatch ttybuiltin
                        noautowrite noesckeys indentexpr= nonumber noshowmode ttyfast
                        noautowriteall eventignore= noinfercase nopaste sidescroll=0 ttymouse=
                        background=light noexpandtab noinsertmode pastetoggle= sidescrolloff=0 ttyscroll=999
                        backspace= noexrc isprint=@,161-255 patchexpr= nosmartcase ttytype=vt102
                        nobackup fileformat=unix joinspaces patchmode= nosmartindent undolevels=1000
                        backupcopy=yes fileformats= key= nopreserveindent nosmarttab updatecount=200
                        backupext=~ filetype= keymodel= previewheight=12 softtabstop=0 updatetime=4000
                        backupskip=/tmp/* foldclose= keywordprg=man nopreviewwindow nosplitbelow verbose=0
                        balloondelay=600 foldcolumn=0 langmenu= printdevice= nosplitright viminfo=
                        nobinary foldenable laststatus=1 printencoding= startofline virtualedit=
                        browsedir=last foldexpr=0 nolazyredraw printfont=courier statusline= novisualbell
                        bufhidden= foldignore=# nolinebreak printoptions= suffixesadd= warn
                        buflisted foldlevel=0 lines=63 noreadonly swapfile noweirdinvert
                        buftype= foldlevelstart=-1 linespace=0 remap swapsync=fsync whichwrap=
                        cdpath=,, foldmethod=manual nolisp report=2 switchbuf= wildchar=^E
                        cedit= foldminlines=1 nolist noruler syntax= wildcharm=0
                        nocindent foldnestmax=20 listchars=eol:$ rulerformat= tabstop=8 wildignore=
                        cinoptions= formatoptions=vt noloadplugins scroll=31 tagbsearch nowildmenu
                        cmdheight=1 formatprg= magic noscrollbind taglength=0 wildmode=full
                        cmdwinheight=7 nogdefault makeef= scrolljump=1 notagrelative winheight=1
                        columns=121 guifont= makeprg=make scrolloff=0 tags=./tags,tags nowinfixheight
                        compatible guifontset= matchtime=5 nosecure tagstack winminheight=1
                        noconfirm guiheadroom=50 maxfuncdepth=100 selectmode= term=vt102 winminwidth=1
                        nocopyindent guipty maxmapdepth=1000 shell=/bin/tcsh noterse winwidth=20
                        debug= helpheight=20 maxmem=3072 shellcmdflag=-c notextauto wrap
                        dictionary= nohidden maxmemtot=3072 shellpipe=|& tee notextmode wrapmargin=0
                        nodiff history=0 menuitems=25 shellquote= textwidth=0 wrapscan
                        diffexpr= nohlsearch nomodeline shellredir=>& thesaurus= write
                        diffopt=filler noicon modelines=5 shellxquote= notildeop nowriteany
                        nodigraph iconstring= modifiable noshiftround timeout writebackup
                        display= noignorecase nomodified shiftwidth=8 timeoutlen=1000 writedelay=0
                        eadirection=both noimcmdline nomore shortmess= notitle
                        noedcompatible noimdisable mouse= noshortname titlelen=85
                        endofline iminsert=2 nomousefocus showbreak= titlestring=
                        equalalways imsearch=2 mousehide noshowcmd nottimeout
                        backupdir=.,~/tmp,~/
                        breakat= ^I!@*-+;:,./?
                        casemap=internal,keepascii
                        cinkeys=0{,0},0),:,0#,!^F,o,O,e
                        cinwords=if,else,while,do,for,switch
                        clipboard=autoselect,exclude:cons\|linux
                        comments=s1:/*,mb:*,ex:*/,://,b:#,:%,:XCOMM,n:>,fb:-
                        commentstring=/*%s*/
                        complete=.,w,b,u,t,i
                        cpoptions=aAbBcCdDeEfFgijJkKlLmMnoOprsStuvwWxy$!%*<
                        define=^#\s*define
                        directory=.,~/tmp,/var/tmp,/tmp
                        errorfile=errors.err
                        errorformat=%*[^"]"%f"%*\D%l: %m,"%f"%*\D%l: %m,%-G%f:%l: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once,%-G%f:%l: for each function it appears in.),%f:%l:%m,"%f"\, line %l%*\D%c%*[^ ] %m,%D%*\a[%*\d]: Entering directory `%f',%X%*\a[%*\d]: Leaving directory `%f',%DMaking %*\a in %f
                        fillchars=vert:|,fold:-
                        foldmarker={{{,}}}
                        foldopen=block,hor,mark,percent,quickfix,search,tag,undo
                        foldtext=foldtext()
                        grepformat=%f:%l:%m,%f:%l%m,%f %l%m
                        grepprg=grep -n $* /dev/null
                        guicursor=n-v-c:block-Cursor/lCursor,ve:ver35-Cursor,o:hor50-Cursor,i-ci:ver25-Cursor/lCursor,r-cr:hor20-Cursor/lCursor,sm:block-Cursor-blinkwait175-blinkoff150-blinkon175
                        guioptions=agimrLtT
                        helpfile=/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/doc/help.txt
                        highlight=8:SpecialKey,@:NonText,d:Directory,e:ErrorMsg,i:IncSearch,l:Search,m:MoreMsg,M:ModeMsg,n:LineNr,r:Question,s:StatusLine,S:StatusLineNC,c:VertSplit,t:Title,v:Visual,V:VisualNOS,w:WarningMsg,W:WildMenu,f:Folded,F:FoldColumn,A:DiffAdd,C:DiffChange,D:DiffDelete,T:DiffText
                        include=^#\s*include
                        indentkeys=0{,0},:,0#,!^F,o,O,e
                        isfname=@,48-57,/,.,-,_,+,,,#,$,%,~,=
                        isident=@,48-57,_,192-255
                        iskeyword=@,48-57,_
                        lispwords=defun,define,defmacro,set!,lambda,if,case,let,flet,let*,letrec,do,do*,define-syntax,let-syntax,letrec-syntax,destructuring-bind,defpackage,defparameter,defstruct,deftype,defvar,do-all-symbols,do-external-symbols,do-symbols,dolist,dotimes,ecase,etypecase,eval-when,labels,macrolet,multiple-value-bind,multiple-value-call,multiple-value-prog1,multiple-value-setq,prog1,progv,typecase,unless,unwind-protect,when,with-input-from-string,with-open-file,with-open-stream,with-output-to-string,with-package-iterator,define-condition,handler-bind,handler-case,restart-bind,restart-case,with-simple-restart,store-value,use-value,muffle-warning,abort,continue,with-slots,with-slots*,with-accessors,with-accessors*,defclass,defmethod,print-unreadable-object
                        matchpairs=(:),{:},[:]
                        mouseshape=i-r:beam,s:updown,sd:udsizing,vs:leftright,vd:lrsizing,m:no,ml:up-arrow,v:rightup-arrow
                        nrformats=octal,hex
                        paragraphs=IPLPPPQPP LIpplpipbp
                        path=.,/usr/include,,
                        printexpr=system('lpr' . (&printdevice == '' ? '' : ' -P' . &printdevice) . ' ' . v:fname_in) . delete(v:fname_in) + v:shell_error
                        printheader=%<%f%h%m%=Page %N
                        runtimepath=~/.vim,/usr/local/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/local/share/vim/vim62,/usr/local/share/vim/vimfiles/after,~/.vim/after
                        scrollopt=ver,jump
                        sections=SHNHH HUnhsh
                        selection=inclusive
                        sessionoptions=blank,buffers,curdir,folds,help,options,winsize
                        suffixes=.bak,~,.o,.h,.info,.swp,.obj
                        titleold=Thanks for flying Vim
                        toolbar=icons,tooltips
                        viewdir=~/.vim/view
                        viewoptions=folds,options,cursor
                        --- Terminal codes ---
                        t_AB= t_CV= t_ke=^[[?1l^[> t_op= t_te= t_WS=
                        t_AF= t_ut= t_ks=^[[?1h^[= t_RI=^[[%p1%dC t_ti= t_xs=
                        t_AL= t_da= t_le=^H t_RV= t_ue=^[[m$<2> t_ZH=^[[7m$<2>
                        t_al=^[[L t_db= t_mb=^[[5m$<2> t_Sb= t_us=^[[4m$<2> t_ZR=^[[0m$<2>
                        t_bc= t_DL= t_md=^[[1m$<2> t_Sf= t_vb=
                        t_cd=^[[J$<50> t_dl=^[[M t_me=^[[0m$<2> t_se=^[[m$<2> t_ve=
                        t_ce=^[[K$<3> t_fs= t_mr=^[[7m$<2> t_so=^[[7m$<2> t_vi=
                        t_Co= t_IE= t_ms=y t_sr=^[M$<5> t_vs=
                        t_CS= t_IS= t_nd=^[[C$<2> t_ts= t_WP=
                        t_cl=^[[H^[[J$<50>
                        t_cm=^[[%i%p1%d;%p2%dH$<5>
                        t_cs=^[[%i%p1%d;%p2%dr
                        --- Terminal keys ---
                        t_K1 <kHome> ^[Oq t_k2 <F2> ^[OQ t_k7 <F7> ^[Ov t_kd <Down> ^[OB
                        t_K3 <kPageUp> ^[Os t_k3 <F3> ^[OR t_k8 <F8> ^[Ol t_kl <Left> ^[OD
                        t_K4 <kEnd> ^[Op t_k4 <F4> ^[OS t_k9 <F9> ^[Ow t_kr <Right> ^[OC
                        t_K5 <kPageDown> ^[On t_k5 <F5> ^[Ot t_k; <F10> ^[Ox t_ku <Up> ^[OA
                        t_k1 <F1> ^[OP t_k6 <F6> ^[Ou t_kb <BS> ^?
                        --- Auto-Commands ---
                        --- Normal/Visual mode mappings ---
                        <xHome> <Home>
                        <xEnd> <End>
                        <S-xF4> <S-F4>
                        <S-xF3> <S-F3>
                        <S-xF2> <S-F2>
                        <S-xF1> <S-F1>
                        <xF4> <F4>
                        <xF3> <F3>
                        <xF2> <F2>
                        <xF1> <F1>
                        --- Insert/Command-line mode mappings ---
                        ! <xHome> <Home>
                        ! <xEnd> <End>
                        ! <S-xF4> <S-F4>
                        ! <S-xF3> <S-F3>
                        ! <S-xF2> <S-F2>
                        ! <S-xF1> <S-F1>
                        ! <xF4> <F4>
                        ! <xF3> <F3>
                        ! <xF2> <F2>
                        ! <xF1> <F1>
                        --- Abbreviations ---

                        No abbreviation found
                        --- Highlighting ---
                        SpecialKey xxx term=bold ctermfg=1 guifg=Blue
                        NonText xxx term=bold ctermfg=9 gui=bold guifg=Blue
                        Directory xxx term=bold ctermfg=1 guifg=Blue
                        ErrorMsg xxx term=standout ctermfg=15 ctermbg=4 guifg=White guibg=Red
                        IncSearch xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse
                        Search xxx term=reverse ctermbg=14 guibg=Yellow
                        MoreMsg xxx term=bold ctermfg=2 gui=bold guifg=SeaGreen
                        ModeMsg xxx term=bold cterm=bold gui=bold
                        LineNr xxx term=underline ctermfg=6 guifg=Brown
                        Question xxx term=standout ctermfg=2 gui=bold guifg=SeaGreen
                        StatusLine xxx term=bold,reverse cterm=bold,reverse gui=bold,reverse
                        StatusLineNC xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse
                        VertSplit xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse
                        Title xxx term=bold ctermfg=5 gui=bold guifg=Magenta
                        Visual xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse guifg=Grey guibg=fg
                        VisualNOS xxx term=bold,underline cterm=bold,underline gui=bold,underline
                        WarningMsg xxx term=standout ctermfg=4 guifg=Red
                        WildMenu xxx term=standout ctermfg=0 ctermbg=14 guifg=Black guibg=Yellow
                        Folded xxx term=standout ctermfg=1 ctermbg=7 guifg=DarkBlue guibg=LightGrey
                        FoldColumn xxx term=standout ctermfg=1 ctermbg=7 guifg=DarkBlue guibg=Grey
                        DiffAdd xxx term=bold ctermbg=9 guibg=LightBlue
                        DiffChange xxx term=bold ctermbg=13 guibg=LightMagenta
                        DiffDelete xxx term=bold ctermfg=9 ctermbg=11 gui=bold guifg=Blue guibg=LightCyan
                        DiffText xxx term=reverse cterm=bold ctermbg=12 gui=bold guibg=Red
                        Cursor xxx guifg=bg guibg=fg
                        lCursor xxx guifg=bg guibg=fg
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                          Ben Fowler wrote:
                          > At 7:12 am -0400 2003-07-02, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                          >
                          >>* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]

                          >>>No, I am using one that I compiled myself.
                          >>
                          >>Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                          >>toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                          >>though, and that's where I see this bug!
                          >

                          > I see that.
                          >
                          > Perhaps the next step is to engage the help of whoever compiled the version
                          > with the problem.

                          That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does
                          seem to be related to the Mac's clipboard.

                          In case someone who can help is reading this, I will give an abbreviated
                          version of the bug report: in the Carbon version of vim, after

                          :set clipboard=unnamed

                          doing "yyp" in Normal mode does not behave as expected.

                          --Benji Fisher
                        • Ben Fowler
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                            At 9:07 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                            >Ben Fowler wrote:
                            >>At 7:12 am -0400 2003-07-02, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                            >>>* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]
                            >>>Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                            >>>toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                            >>>though, and that's where I see this bug!
                            >>I see that.
                            >>
                            >>Perhaps the next step is to engage the help of whoever compiled the version
                            >>with the problem.
                            >
                            > That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does seem to be related to the Mac's clipboard.
                            >
                            > In case someone who can help is reading this, I will give an abbreviated version of the bug report: in the Carbon version of vim, after
                            >
                            >:set clipboard=unnamed
                            >
                            >doing "yyp" in Normal mode does not behave as expected.

                            Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.

                            I still can't reproduce the bug, but I can tell you how I compiled vim (command line version):

                            % ./configure
                            % make
                            % sudo make install

                            Having done a make clean and a cvs -q up -dP, I repeated those steps, and got a vim with
                            this : ver

                            VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 07/02/03 15:38:46)
                            Included patches: 1-14
                            Compiled by claims@....
[...]

                            and without the bug.

                            What am I doing right (if anything)?

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                              Ben Fowler wrote:
                              > At 9:07 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                              >
                              >> That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does seem
                              >> to be related to the Mac's clipboard.

                              > Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.

                              See the instructions at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers . I
                              recently posted all the necessary files and patches.

                              > I still can't reproduce the bug, but I can tell you how I compiled vim (command line version):
                              >
                              > % ./configure
                              > % make
                              > % sudo make install
                              >
                              > Having done a make clean and a cvs -q up -dP, I repeated those steps, and got a vim with
                              > this : ver
                              >
                              > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 07/02/03 15:38:46)
                              > Included patches: 1-14
                              > Compiled by claims@....
                              > Normal version with X11-Athena GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                              [snip]

                              > and without the bug.
                              >
                              > What am I doing right (if anything)?

                              You are making an X11 version. I believe that this uses a different
                              clipboard, or at least a different interface to the clipboard, from the Carbon
                              version.

                              --Benji Fisher
                            • Ben Fowler
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                                At 10:59 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                >Ben Fowler wrote:
                                >>At 9:07 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                >>
                                >>>That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does seem
                                >>>to be related to the Mac's clipboard.
                                >
                                >>Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.
                                >
                                > See the instructions at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers . I recently posted all the necessary files and patches.

                                You can compile a Terminal version of Vim pretty much the same as for any other version of UNIX

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                                  At 4:10 pm +0100 2003-07-02, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                  >At 10:59 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                  >>Ben Fowler wrote:

                                  >>>Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.
                                  >>
                                  >> See the instructions at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers . I recently posted all the necessary files and patches.
                                  >>

                                  >O.K. I was following the bit where it said:
                                  >
                                  >You can compile a Terminal version of Vim pretty much the same as for any other version of UNIX

                                  I have discovered that the Vim version can be run in a terminal with the command

                                  % src/build/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -u NONE -U NONE

                                  My :ver is
                                  VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 06/22/03 23:54:21)
                                  MacOS X (unix) version
                                  Included patches: 1-14
                                  Big version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
[...]
                                  user vimrc file: "~/.vimrc"
                                  user exrc file: "~/.exrc"
                                  system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
                                  user gvimrc file: "~/.gvimrc"

                                  which is probably a lot closer to what you were expecting

                                  When I try to reproduce the bug with the commands:
                                  :set cb=unnamed^M:set clipboard=unnamed^MiAlpha^MBeta^MGammak0yjllp

                                  It still works for me!

                                  I will try with one of the supplied makefiles.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003

                                    Yes, that is one of the items on the FAQ at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#FAQ .

                                    > My :ver is
                                    > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 06/22/03 23:54:21)
                                    > MacOS X (unix) version
                                    [snip]

                                    > When I try to reproduce the bug with the commands:
                                    > :set cb=unnamed^M:set clipboard=unnamed^MiAlpha^MBeta^MGammak0yjllp
                                    >
                                    > It still works for me!
                                    >
                                    > I will try with one of the supplied makefiles.

                                    Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only
                                    shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set
                                    to "unnamed". Try the experiment with vim running in a Terminal window, then try

                                    :gui

                                    and test again. For me, the bug reappears.

                                    --Benji Fisher
                                  • Ben Fowler
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                      At 2:16 pm -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                      >Ben Fowler wrote:
                                      >>At 4:10 pm +0100 2003-07-02, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                      >[ ... ]
                                      > Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".

                                      O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.

                                      I will spend afew minutes on this now ...

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                        At 5:54 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                        >At 2:16 pm -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                        >>Ben Fowler wrote:
                                        >>>At 4:10 pm +0100 2003-07-02, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                        >>[ ... ]
                                        >> Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".
                                        >
                                        >O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.
                                        >
                                        >I will spend afew minutes on this now ...

                                        FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                        The problem seems to be inside do_put( );

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                          At 6:42 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                          >At 5:54 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                          >>>[ ... ]
                                          >>> Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".
                                          >>
                                          >>O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.
                                          >>
                                          >>I will spend afew minutes on this now ...
                                          >
                                          >FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                          >The problem seems to be inside do_put( );

                                          When y_type has the value 0 (MCHAR) and not 1 (MLINE).

                                          Ben

                                          Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
                                        • Bram Moolenaar
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                            Ben Fowler wrote:

                                            > At 5:54 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                            > >>[ ... ]
                                            > >> Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug
                                            > >> only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and
                                            > >> 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".
                                            > >
                                            > >O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.
                                            > >
                                            > >I will spend afew minutes on this now ...
                                            >
                                            > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                            > The problem seems to be inside do_put( );

                                            Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.

                                            A shot in the dark: Did you try compiling without optimizing? I know
                                            that gcc 3.1 with optimizing causes obscure problems sometimes.

                                            --
                                            LAUNCELOT leaps into SHOT with a mighty cry and runs the GUARD through and
                                            hacks him to the floor. Blood. Swashbuckling music (perhaps).

                                          • Ben Fowler
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                              At 8:54 pm +0200 2003-07-03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                              >Ben Fowler wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                              >> The problem seems to be inside do_put( );
                                              >
                                              >Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.
                                              >
                                              >A shot in the dark: Did you try compiling without optimizing? I know
                                              >that gcc 3.1 with optimizing causes obscure problems sometimes.

                                              Most grateful for your comments.

                                              The 'dirty deed' (y_current->y_type changing from MLINE to MCHAR) happens
                                              in ops.c on line 864. (Typos excepted, I am not at my OS X machine).

                                              I will try what you suggest.

                                              It is not do_put( ) containing gui specific code, but the global data
                                              causing it to misbahave, I think.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                                At 9:25 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                                >At 8:54 pm +0200 2003-07-03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                                >>Ben Fowler wrote:
                                                >>
                                                >> > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                                >>> The problem seems to be inside do_put( );
                                                >>
                                                >>Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.
                                                >>
                                                >>A shot in the dark: Did you try compiling without optimizing? I know
                                                >>that gcc 3.1 with optimizing causes obscure problems sometimes.
                                                >
                                                >Most grateful for your comments.
                                                >
                                                >The 'dirty deed' (y_current->y_type changing from MLINE to MCHAR) happens
                                                >in ops.c on line 864. (Typos excepted, I am not at my OS X machine).
                                                >
                                                >I will try what you suggest.
                                                >
                                                >It is not do_put( ) containing gui specific code, but the global data
                                                >causing it to misbahave, I think.

                                                A sample gcc command used during compilation is:

                                                /usr/bin/gcc3 -c -F/Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build -I/Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/include -Iproto -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -arch ppc -fno-common -fpascal-strings -O0 -Wmost -Wno-four-char-constants -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pipe "-fmessage-length=0" -mdynamic-no-pic -g -precomp-trustfile /Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/os_mac.build/vim.build/TrustedPrecomps.txt -Wp,-header-mapfile,/Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/os_mac.build/vim.build/Vim.hmap "-DMACOS_X_UNIX" ops.c -o /Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/os_mac.build/vim.build/Objects-normal/ppc/ops.o

                                                I think that this specifies no optimisation, and nothing out of the ordinary.

                                                After :set cb=unnamed, a yank (Y) operation yanks into y_regs[ 0 ], but do-put (ops.c line 3061)
                                                reads from y_regs[ 37 ] . Curiously, the y_array for that register contains "Beta" as expected
                                                (following the given recipe for evincing the defect), but its y_type is wrong.

                                                I expect that there is a simple explanation, but for me it time to shutdown the Mac till
                                                tomorrow.

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 4, 2003
                                                  At 9:25 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                                  >At 8:54 pm +0200 2003-07-03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                                  >>Ben Fowler wrote:
                                                  >>
                                                  >> > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                                  >>> The problem seems to be inside do_put( );
                                                  >>
                                                  > >Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.

                                                  I wonder whether the problem is on line 3736 of

                                                  type = (strchr(*textOfClip, '\r') != NULL) ? MLINE : MCHAR;

                                                  and that \r character needs to be the current EOL for the file being edited.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 4, 2003
                                                    At 5:57 pm +0100 2003-07-04, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                                    >At 9:25 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:

                                                    >> >Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.
                                                    >
                                                    >I wonder whether the problem is on line 3736 of gui_mac.c
                                                    >
                                                    > type = (strchr(*textOfClip, '\r') != NULL) ? MLINE : MCHAR;
                                                    >
                                                    >and that \r character needs to be the current EOL for the file being edited.

                                                    Certainly if I swap it for a \n, the problem goes away.

                                                    I suspect that when the gui is mot active, using the * register does not go
                                                    through the system clipboard, which is why this only turns up when using
                                                    the gui, when this is the procedure for the * register.

                                                    Certainly if am using the same Carbonised binary in a terminal, yanking
                                                    to the * register does not affect the system clipboard, or any clipboard
                                                    within Terminal.app .

                                                    Are these features or bugs?

                                                    Is there anyone here who knows the code well enough to provide a fix. I suspect
                                                    that each instance of a literal '\r' in the gui code will need to be examined.