Re: strange terminal vim startup message

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
      Mick McQuaid wrote:
      > First, let me say that I am indebted to you for
      > this great job! This is the version of vim I use
      > most by far!
      >
      > I have one strange little problem with your last
      > three binaries. On startup of the terminal
      > version, I sometimes see the following message.
      > It only happens on certain files, and I'm not sure
      > if I can find a pattern as to which files. It's
      > also been going on for the last three releases
      > I've used, one in March, one in April, and one
      > today. I also noticed that the Fink terminal vim
      > does not give this message on the same files (or
      > any others---I've never ever seen a message like
      > this from vim or any other vi version since I
      > began using it in 1986).
      >
      > Here is the message:
      >
      > 254L, 8964C*** malloc[620]: Deallocation of a
      > pointer not malloced: 0x7 This could be a
      > double free(), or free() called with the middle of
      > an a block; Try setting environment
      > variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

      It would help if you could find a way to reproduce this. Maybe someone on
      this list has an idea how to fix this.

      --Benji Fisher
    • Ben Fowler
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
        At 8:50 am -0400 2003-07-01, Benji Fisher wrote:
        >Mick McQuaid wrote:
        >>First, let me say that I am indebted to you for
        >>this great job! This is the version of vim I use
        >>most by far!

        >>Here is the message:
        >>
        >>254L, 8964C*** malloc[620]: Deallocation of a
        >>pointer not malloced: 0x7 This could be a
        >>double free(), or free() called with the middle of
        >>an a block; Try setting environment
        >>variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
        >
        > It would help if you could find a way to reproduce this. Maybe someone on this list has an idea how to fix this.
        >
        > --Benji Fisher

        Are you sure that this is coming from vim (and not, say, terminal.app)?

        The number in square brackets is the process number of the process that the
        BSD memory management is unhappy with. If you did a 'ps aux', you could confirm.

        Otherwise the advice to set that environment variable is sound.

        Incidentally, the use of a 'double free' resistant malloc( ) is controversial,
        but is a standard part of BSD and is why the double free within the ZLIB library
        a year or so ago did not affect BSD.

        Ben

        Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114