yanking linewise

  • Ricardo SIGNES
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 30, 2003
      I've just installed Vim 6.2 for MacOS X from swdev, and I've found a
      pretty frustrating problem.

      When I yank a line with Y or yy, and then paste it with 'p' it does not
      paste to its own line. It pastes at the cursor position.

      I know this works just fine with Vim on GNU/Linux and Win32.

      Has anyone else seen this?

      Y and y are not mapped.

      --
      rjbs
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
        Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
        > I've just installed Vim 6.2 for MacOS X from swdev, and I've found a
        > pretty frustrating problem.
        >
        > When I yank a line with Y or yy, and then paste it with 'p' it does not
        > paste to its own line. It pastes at the cursor position.
        >
        > I know this works just fine with Vim on GNU/Linux and Win32.
        >
        > Has anyone else seen this?
        >
        > Y and y are not mapped.

        I cannot reproduce this. Maybe 'p' is mapped?

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Ricardo SIGNES
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
          * Benji Fisher <benji@...> [2003-07-01T09:27:55]
          > Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
          > >When I yank a line with Y or yy, and then paste it with 'p' it does not
          > >paste to its own line. It pastes at the cursor position.
          >
          > I cannot reproduce this. Maybe 'p' is mapped?

          Nope.

          I found the problem this morning -- well, strull found it. I had
          clipboard set to unnamed, as I wanted to yank to the clipboard. It
          seems that the MacOS keyboard is munging line endings somehow.

          When I left the cb option undefined, the problem went away.

          --
          rjbs
        • Ben Fowler
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
            At 11:07 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
            >* Benji Fisher <benji@...> [2003-07-01T09:27:55]
            >> Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
            >> >When I yank a line with Y or yy, and then paste it with 'p' it does not
            >> >paste to its own line. It pastes at the cursor position.
            >>
            >> I cannot reproduce this. Maybe 'p' is mapped?
            >
            >Nope.
            >
            >I found the problem this morning -- well, strull found it. I had
            >clipboard set to unnamed, as I wanted to yank to the clipboard. It
            >seems that the MacOS keyboard is munging line endings somehow.
            >
            >When I left the cb option undefined, the problem went away.

            Is this a bug in the MacOS version? If so, can you tell us

            1. What you were doing?
            2. What actually happened
            3. What you expected to happen?

            MacOS X should use Unix line ending throughout.

            Ben

            Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
          • Ricardo SIGNES
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
              * Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T11:16:42]
              > At 11:07 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
              > >I found the problem this morning -- well, strull found it. I had
              > >clipboard set to unnamed, as I wanted to yank to the clipboard. It
              > >seems that the MacOS keyboard is munging line endings somehow.
              > >
              > >When I left the cb option undefined, the problem went away.
              >
              > Is this a bug in the MacOS version? If so, can you tell us
              >
              > 1. What you were doing?
              > 2. What actually happened
              > 3. What you expected to happen?
              >
              > MacOS X should use Unix line ending throughout.

              Sure.

              I'm running OS X v10.2.6 and Vim 6.2.14 for OS X as downloaded from
              swdev. Here's a minimal test example.

              I begin gvim by calling it from the command line with -u NONE -U NONE.

              I insert text so that the buffer reads:

              -(begin)-
              Alpha
              Beta
              Gamma
              -(end)-

              I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp

              My buffer now reads:

              -(begin)-
              Alpha
              Beta
              Gamma
              Beta
              -(end)-

              I undo.

              I :set cb=unnamed

              I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp

              My buffer now reads:

              -(begin)-
              Alpha
              Beta
              GamBeta
              ma
              -(end)-

              --
              rjbs
            • Ben Fowler
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                At 11:41 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                >* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T11:16:42]
                > > At 11:07 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                > > >When I left the cb option undefined, the problem went away.
                >>
                >> Is this a bug in the MacOS version? If so, can you tell us
                >>
                >> 1. What you were doing?
                >> 2. What actually happened
                >> 3. What you expected to happen?
                >>
                >> MacOS X should use Unix line ending throughout.
                >
                >Sure.
                >
                >I'm running OS X v10.2.6 and Vim 6.2.14 for OS X as downloaded from
                >swdev. Here's a minimal test example.
                >
                >I begin gvim by calling it from the command line with -u NONE -U NONE.
                >
                >I insert text so that the buffer reads:
                >
                >-(begin)-
                >Alpha
                >Beta
                >Gamma
                >-(end)-
                >
                >I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp
                >
                >My buffer now reads:
                >
                >-(begin)-
                >Alpha
                >Beta
                >Gamma
                >Beta
                >-(end)-
                >
                >I undo.
                >
                >I :set cb=unnamed
                >
                >I move to line 2 column 1. I enter the following keystrokes: Yjllp
                >
                >My buffer now reads:
                >
                >-(begin)-
                >Alpha
                >Beta
                >GamBeta
                >ma
                >-(end)-

                Very clear.

                Which is the correct behaviour? I assume the former.

                When I tried to reproduce this with a recent version:
                ~
                ~ VIM - Vi IMproved
                ~
                ~ version 6.2.14

                I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.

                I enclose mr 'bugreport.vim' result.

                Ben
              • Ricardo SIGNES
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                  * Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T12:06:19]
                  > At 11:41 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                  > > [ bug report ]
                  >
                  > Which is the correct behaviour? I assume the former.

                  The correct behaviour -- found in gVim and Vim on Win32 and GNU/Linux
                  (with and without X11) is the former -- the linewise-yanked line is
                  inserted as its own line below the line on which the cursor sits.

                  > When I tried to reproduce this with a recent version:
                  > ~ VIM - Vi IMproved
                  > ~ version 6.2.14

                  Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX? It is
                  identified in :ver as "Huge version with Carbon GUI"

                  > I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.
                  > I enclose mr 'bugreport.vim' result.

                  I don't see any enclosed file... do I misunderstand?

                  --
                  rjbs
                • Vadim Zeitlin
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                    On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:41:13 -0400 Ricardo SIGNES <rjbs-vim@...> wrote:

                    RS> I'm running OS X v10.2.6 and Vim 6.2.14 for OS X as downloaded from
                    RS> swdev.

                    Just to confirm that I also see the same bug with v10.2.4 (and 6.2.14), so
                    it's not 10.2.6-specific.

                    Regards,
                    VZ
                  • Ben Fowler
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                      At 12:28 pm -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                      >* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-01T12:06:19]
                      >> At 11:41 am -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                      >> > [ bug report ]
                      >>
                      >> Which is the correct behaviour? I assume the former.
                      >
                      >The correct behaviour -- found in gVim and Vim on Win32 and GNU/Linux
                      >(with and without X11) is the former -- the linewise-yanked line is
                      >inserted as its own line below the line on which the cursor sits.
                      >
                      >> When I tried to reproduce this with a recent version:
                      >> ~ VIM - Vi IMproved
                      >> ~ version 6.2.14
                      >
                      >Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX? It is
                      >identified in :ver as "Huge version with Carbon GUI"

                      No, I am using one that I compiled myself.

                      :ver gives me

                      VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 06/14/03 00:58:48)
                      Included patches: 1-14
                      Compiled by bfowler@...
                      Normal version with X11-Athena GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                      -arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent +clientserver +clipboard
                      +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments +cryptv -cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd
                      -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
                      +fork() -gettext -hangul_input -iconv +insert_expand +jumplist -keymap -langmap -libcall +linebreak
                      +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
                      -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm -multi_byte +multi_lang -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra
                      -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind -signs +smartindent -sniff
                      +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse
                      +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
                      +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 +xfontset +xim -xsmp +xterm_clipboard
                      -xterm_save
                      system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
                      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
                      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
                      system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
                      user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
                      fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
                      Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA -g -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -I/usr/
                      X11R6/include
                      Linking:
                      gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -lXaw -lXmu -lXext -lXpm -lXt -lX11 -lncurses
                      Hit ENTER or type command to continue

                      I ran 'configure' before compiling my Vim with the .pbproj . Perhaps there is something
                      in the may that my compilation was done that hides this bug.

                      > > I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.
                      > > I enclose my 'bugreport.vim' result.
                      >
                      >I don't see any enclosed file... do I misunderstand?

                      Another copy ...
                    • Ricardo SIGNES
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                        * Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]
                        > At 12:28 pm -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                        > >Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX? It is
                        > >identified in :ver as "Huge version with Carbon GUI"
                        >
                        > No, I am using one that I compiled myself.

                        Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                        toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                        though, and that's where I see this bug!

                        > > > I got the former (id est correct) behaviour both times.
                        > > > I enclose my 'bugreport.vim' result.
                        > >
                        > >I don't see any enclosed file... do I misunderstand?
                        >
                        > Another copy ...

                        Maybe I'm daft, but I still don't see it. I see only the attached
                        disclaimer.

                        --
                        rjbs
                      • Ben Fowler
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                          At 7:12 am -0400 2003-07-02, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                          >* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]
                          >> At 12:28 pm -0400 2003-07-01, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                          > > >Were you using the version from http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX?
                          > > No, I am using one that I compiled myself.
                          >
                          >Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                          >toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                          >though, and that's where I see this bug!

                          I see that.

                          Perhaps the next step is to engage the help of whoever compiled the version
                          with the problem.

                          >Maybe I'm daft, but I still don't see it. I see only the attached
                          >disclaimer.

                          The attachment probably got removed by the list softare. Here's
                          the info:

                          uname -a
                          Darwin dpearce.ewitness.ltd.uk 6.4 Darwin Kernel Version 6.4: Wed Jan 29 18:50:42 PST 2003; root:xnu/xnu-344.26.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

[...]
                          --- Directories and Files ---
                          $VIM = "/usr/local/share/vim"
                          directory "/usr/local/share/vim" exists
                          $VIMRUNTIME = "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62"
                          directory "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62" exists
                          "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/doc/help.txt" is readable
                          "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/doc/tags" is readable
                          "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/menu.vim" is readable
                          "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/filetype.vim" is readable
                          "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/syntax/synload.vim" is readable
                          --- Options ---
                          noautoindent equalprg= includeexpr= mousemodel=extend noshowfulltag ttimeoutlen=-1
                          noautoread noerrorbells noincsearch mousetime=500 noshowmatch ttybuiltin
                          noautowrite noesckeys indentexpr= nonumber noshowmode ttyfast
                          noautowriteall eventignore= noinfercase nopaste sidescroll=0 ttymouse=
                          background=light noexpandtab noinsertmode pastetoggle= sidescrolloff=0 ttyscroll=999
                          backspace= noexrc isprint=@,161-255 patchexpr= nosmartcase ttytype=vt102
                          nobackup fileformat=unix joinspaces patchmode= nosmartindent undolevels=1000
                          backupcopy=yes fileformats= key= nopreserveindent nosmarttab updatecount=200
                          backupext=~ filetype= keymodel= previewheight=12 softtabstop=0 updatetime=4000
                          backupskip=/tmp/* foldclose= keywordprg=man nopreviewwindow nosplitbelow verbose=0
                          balloondelay=600 foldcolumn=0 langmenu= printdevice= nosplitright viminfo=
                          nobinary foldenable laststatus=1 printencoding= startofline virtualedit=
                          browsedir=last foldexpr=0 nolazyredraw printfont=courier statusline= novisualbell
                          bufhidden= foldignore=# nolinebreak printoptions= suffixesadd= warn
                          buflisted foldlevel=0 lines=63 noreadonly swapfile noweirdinvert
                          buftype= foldlevelstart=-1 linespace=0 remap swapsync=fsync whichwrap=
                          cdpath=,, foldmethod=manual nolisp report=2 switchbuf= wildchar=^E
                          cedit= foldminlines=1 nolist noruler syntax= wildcharm=0
                          nocindent foldnestmax=20 listchars=eol:$ rulerformat= tabstop=8 wildignore=
                          cinoptions= formatoptions=vt noloadplugins scroll=31 tagbsearch nowildmenu
                          cmdheight=1 formatprg= magic noscrollbind taglength=0 wildmode=full
                          cmdwinheight=7 nogdefault makeef= scrolljump=1 notagrelative winheight=1
                          columns=121 guifont= makeprg=make scrolloff=0 tags=./tags,tags nowinfixheight
                          compatible guifontset= matchtime=5 nosecure tagstack winminheight=1
                          noconfirm guiheadroom=50 maxfuncdepth=100 selectmode= term=vt102 winminwidth=1
                          nocopyindent guipty maxmapdepth=1000 shell=/bin/tcsh noterse winwidth=20
                          debug= helpheight=20 maxmem=3072 shellcmdflag=-c notextauto wrap
                          dictionary= nohidden maxmemtot=3072 shellpipe=|& tee notextmode wrapmargin=0
                          nodiff history=0 menuitems=25 shellquote= textwidth=0 wrapscan
                          diffexpr= nohlsearch nomodeline shellredir=>& thesaurus= write
                          diffopt=filler noicon modelines=5 shellxquote= notildeop nowriteany
                          nodigraph iconstring= modifiable noshiftround timeout writebackup
                          display= noignorecase nomodified shiftwidth=8 timeoutlen=1000 writedelay=0
                          eadirection=both noimcmdline nomore shortmess= notitle
                          noedcompatible noimdisable mouse= noshortname titlelen=85
                          endofline iminsert=2 nomousefocus showbreak= titlestring=
                          equalalways imsearch=2 mousehide noshowcmd nottimeout
                          backupdir=.,~/tmp,~/
                          breakat= ^I!@*-+;:,./?
                          casemap=internal,keepascii
                          cinkeys=0{,0},0),:,0#,!^F,o,O,e
                          cinwords=if,else,while,do,for,switch
                          clipboard=autoselect,exclude:cons\|linux
                          comments=s1:/*,mb:*,ex:*/,://,b:#,:%,:XCOMM,n:>,fb:-
                          commentstring=/*%s*/
                          complete=.,w,b,u,t,i
                          cpoptions=aAbBcCdDeEfFgijJkKlLmMnoOprsStuvwWxy$!%*<
                          define=^#\s*define
                          directory=.,~/tmp,/var/tmp,/tmp
                          errorfile=errors.err
                          errorformat=%*[^"]"%f"%*\D%l: %m,"%f"%*\D%l: %m,%-G%f:%l: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once,%-G%f:%l: for each function it appears in.),%f:%l:%m,"%f"\, line %l%*\D%c%*[^ ] %m,%D%*\a[%*\d]: Entering directory `%f',%X%*\a[%*\d]: Leaving directory `%f',%DMaking %*\a in %f
                          fillchars=vert:|,fold:-
                          foldmarker={{{,}}}
                          foldopen=block,hor,mark,percent,quickfix,search,tag,undo
                          foldtext=foldtext()
                          grepformat=%f:%l:%m,%f:%l%m,%f %l%m
                          grepprg=grep -n $* /dev/null
                          guicursor=n-v-c:block-Cursor/lCursor,ve:ver35-Cursor,o:hor50-Cursor,i-ci:ver25-Cursor/lCursor,r-cr:hor20-Cursor/lCursor,sm:block-Cursor-blinkwait175-blinkoff150-blinkon175
                          guioptions=agimrLtT
                          helpfile=/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/doc/help.txt
                          highlight=8:SpecialKey,@:NonText,d:Directory,e:ErrorMsg,i:IncSearch,l:Search,m:MoreMsg,M:ModeMsg,n:LineNr,r:Question,s:StatusLine,S:StatusLineNC,c:VertSplit,t:Title,v:Visual,V:VisualNOS,w:WarningMsg,W:WildMenu,f:Folded,F:FoldColumn,A:DiffAdd,C:DiffChange,D:DiffDelete,T:DiffText
                          include=^#\s*include
                          indentkeys=0{,0},:,0#,!^F,o,O,e
                          isfname=@,48-57,/,.,-,_,+,,,#,$,%,~,=
                          isident=@,48-57,_,192-255
                          iskeyword=@,48-57,_
                          lispwords=defun,define,defmacro,set!,lambda,if,case,let,flet,let*,letrec,do,do*,define-syntax,let-syntax,letrec-syntax,destructuring-bind,defpackage,defparameter,defstruct,deftype,defvar,do-all-symbols,do-external-symbols,do-symbols,dolist,dotimes,ecase,etypecase,eval-when,labels,macrolet,multiple-value-bind,multiple-value-call,multiple-value-prog1,multiple-value-setq,prog1,progv,typecase,unless,unwind-protect,when,with-input-from-string,with-open-file,with-open-stream,with-output-to-string,with-package-iterator,define-condition,handler-bind,handler-case,restart-bind,restart-case,with-simple-restart,store-value,use-value,muffle-warning,abort,continue,with-slots,with-slots*,with-accessors,with-accessors*,defclass,defmethod,print-unreadable-object
                          matchpairs=(:),{:},[:]
                          mouseshape=i-r:beam,s:updown,sd:udsizing,vs:leftright,vd:lrsizing,m:no,ml:up-arrow,v:rightup-arrow
                          nrformats=octal,hex
                          paragraphs=IPLPPPQPP LIpplpipbp
                          path=.,/usr/include,,
                          printexpr=system('lpr' . (&printdevice == '' ? '' : ' -P' . &printdevice) . ' ' . v:fname_in) . delete(v:fname_in) + v:shell_error
                          printheader=%<%f%h%m%=Page %N
                          runtimepath=~/.vim,/usr/local/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/local/share/vim/vim62,/usr/local/share/vim/vimfiles/after,~/.vim/after
                          scrollopt=ver,jump
                          sections=SHNHH HUnhsh
                          selection=inclusive
                          sessionoptions=blank,buffers,curdir,folds,help,options,winsize
                          suffixes=.bak,~,.o,.h,.info,.swp,.obj
                          titleold=Thanks for flying Vim
                          toolbar=icons,tooltips
                          viewdir=~/.vim/view
                          viewoptions=folds,options,cursor
                          --- Terminal codes ---
                          t_AB= t_CV= t_ke=^[[?1l^[> t_op= t_te= t_WS=
                          t_AF= t_ut= t_ks=^[[?1h^[= t_RI=^[[%p1%dC t_ti= t_xs=
                          t_AL= t_da= t_le=^H t_RV= t_ue=^[[m$<2> t_ZH=^[[7m$<2>
                          t_al=^[[L t_db= t_mb=^[[5m$<2> t_Sb= t_us=^[[4m$<2> t_ZR=^[[0m$<2>
                          t_bc= t_DL= t_md=^[[1m$<2> t_Sf= t_vb=
                          t_cd=^[[J$<50> t_dl=^[[M t_me=^[[0m$<2> t_se=^[[m$<2> t_ve=
                          t_ce=^[[K$<3> t_fs= t_mr=^[[7m$<2> t_so=^[[7m$<2> t_vi=
                          t_Co= t_IE= t_ms=y t_sr=^[M$<5> t_vs=
                          t_CS= t_IS= t_nd=^[[C$<2> t_ts= t_WP=
                          t_cl=^[[H^[[J$<50>
                          t_cm=^[[%i%p1%d;%p2%dH$<5>
                          t_cs=^[[%i%p1%d;%p2%dr
                          --- Terminal keys ---
                          t_K1 <kHome> ^[Oq t_k2 <F2> ^[OQ t_k7 <F7> ^[Ov t_kd <Down> ^[OB
                          t_K3 <kPageUp> ^[Os t_k3 <F3> ^[OR t_k8 <F8> ^[Ol t_kl <Left> ^[OD
                          t_K4 <kEnd> ^[Op t_k4 <F4> ^[OS t_k9 <F9> ^[Ow t_kr <Right> ^[OC
                          t_K5 <kPageDown> ^[On t_k5 <F5> ^[Ot t_k; <F10> ^[Ox t_ku <Up> ^[OA
                          t_k1 <F1> ^[OP t_k6 <F6> ^[Ou t_kb <BS> ^?
                          --- Auto-Commands ---
                          --- Normal/Visual mode mappings ---
                          <xHome> <Home>
                          <xEnd> <End>
                          <S-xF4> <S-F4>
                          <S-xF3> <S-F3>
                          <S-xF2> <S-F2>
                          <S-xF1> <S-F1>
                          <xF4> <F4>
                          <xF3> <F3>
                          <xF2> <F2>
                          <xF1> <F1>
                          --- Insert/Command-line mode mappings ---
                          ! <xHome> <Home>
                          ! <xEnd> <End>
                          ! <S-xF4> <S-F4>
                          ! <S-xF3> <S-F3>
                          ! <S-xF2> <S-F2>
                          ! <S-xF1> <S-F1>
                          ! <xF4> <F4>
                          ! <xF3> <F3>
                          ! <xF2> <F2>
                          ! <xF1> <F1>
                          --- Abbreviations ---

                          No abbreviation found
                          --- Highlighting ---
                          SpecialKey xxx term=bold ctermfg=1 guifg=Blue
                          NonText xxx term=bold ctermfg=9 gui=bold guifg=Blue
                          Directory xxx term=bold ctermfg=1 guifg=Blue
                          ErrorMsg xxx term=standout ctermfg=15 ctermbg=4 guifg=White guibg=Red
                          IncSearch xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse
                          Search xxx term=reverse ctermbg=14 guibg=Yellow
                          MoreMsg xxx term=bold ctermfg=2 gui=bold guifg=SeaGreen
                          ModeMsg xxx term=bold cterm=bold gui=bold
                          LineNr xxx term=underline ctermfg=6 guifg=Brown
                          Question xxx term=standout ctermfg=2 gui=bold guifg=SeaGreen
                          StatusLine xxx term=bold,reverse cterm=bold,reverse gui=bold,reverse
                          StatusLineNC xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse
                          VertSplit xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse
                          Title xxx term=bold ctermfg=5 gui=bold guifg=Magenta
                          Visual xxx term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse guifg=Grey guibg=fg
                          VisualNOS xxx term=bold,underline cterm=bold,underline gui=bold,underline
                          WarningMsg xxx term=standout ctermfg=4 guifg=Red
                          WildMenu xxx term=standout ctermfg=0 ctermbg=14 guifg=Black guibg=Yellow
                          Folded xxx term=standout ctermfg=1 ctermbg=7 guifg=DarkBlue guibg=LightGrey
                          FoldColumn xxx term=standout ctermfg=1 ctermbg=7 guifg=DarkBlue guibg=Grey
                          DiffAdd xxx term=bold ctermbg=9 guibg=LightBlue
                          DiffChange xxx term=bold ctermbg=13 guibg=LightMagenta
                          DiffDelete xxx term=bold ctermfg=9 ctermbg=11 gui=bold guifg=Blue guibg=LightCyan
                          DiffText xxx term=reverse cterm=bold ctermbg=12 gui=bold guibg=Red
                          Cursor xxx guifg=bg guibg=fg
                          lCursor xxx guifg=bg guibg=fg
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                            Ben Fowler wrote:
                            > At 7:12 am -0400 2003-07-02, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                            >
                            >>* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]

                            >>>No, I am using one that I compiled myself.
                            >>
                            >>Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                            >>toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                            >>though, and that's where I see this bug!
                            >

                            > I see that.
                            >
                            > Perhaps the next step is to engage the help of whoever compiled the version
                            > with the problem.

                            That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does
                            seem to be related to the Mac's clipboard.

                            In case someone who can help is reading this, I will give an abbreviated
                            version of the bug report: in the Carbon version of vim, after

                            :set clipboard=unnamed

                            doing "yyp" in Normal mode does not behave as expected.

                            --Benji Fisher
                          • Ben Fowler
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                              At 9:07 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                              >Ben Fowler wrote:
                              >>At 7:12 am -0400 2003-07-02, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
                              >>>* Ben Fowler <bfowler@...> [2003-07-02T03:17:43]
                              >>>Yeah, I have no doubt that I could compile my own gVim for some X11
                              >>>toolkit and have it work. I'd rather have the Carbonized vesion work,
                              >>>though, and that's where I see this bug!
                              >>I see that.
                              >>
                              >>Perhaps the next step is to engage the help of whoever compiled the version
                              >>with the problem.
                              >
                              > That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does seem to be related to the Mac's clipboard.
                              >
                              > In case someone who can help is reading this, I will give an abbreviated version of the bug report: in the Carbon version of vim, after
                              >
                              >:set clipboard=unnamed
                              >
                              >doing "yyp" in Normal mode does not behave as expected.

                              Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.

                              I still can't reproduce the bug, but I can tell you how I compiled vim (command line version):

                              % ./configure
                              % make
                              % sudo make install

                              Having done a make clean and a cvs -q up -dP, I repeated those steps, and got a vim with
                              this : ver

                              VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 07/02/03 15:38:46)
                              Included patches: 1-14
                              Compiled by claims@....
[...]

                              and without the bug.

                              What am I doing right (if anything)?

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                                Ben Fowler wrote:
                                > At 9:07 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                >
                                >> That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does seem
                                >> to be related to the Mac's clipboard.

                                > Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.

                                See the instructions at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers . I
                                recently posted all the necessary files and patches.

                                > I still can't reproduce the bug, but I can tell you how I compiled vim (command line version):
                                >
                                > % ./configure
                                > % make
                                > % sudo make install
                                >
                                > Having done a make clean and a cvs -q up -dP, I repeated those steps, and got a vim with
                                > this : ver
                                >
                                > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 07/02/03 15:38:46)
                                > Included patches: 1-14
                                > Compiled by claims@....
                                > Normal version with X11-Athena GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                                [snip]

                                > and without the bug.
                                >
                                > What am I doing right (if anything)?

                                You are making an X11 version. I believe that this uses a different
                                clipboard, or at least a different interface to the clipboard, from the Carbon
                                version.

                                --Benji Fisher
                              • Ben Fowler
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                                  At 10:59 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                  >Ben Fowler wrote:
                                  >>At 9:07 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>>That would be me. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to help. It does seem
                                  >>>to be related to the Mac's clipboard.
                                  >
                                  >>Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.
                                  >
                                  > See the instructions at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers . I recently posted all the necessary files and patches.

                                  You can compile a Terminal version of Vim pretty much the same as for any other version of UNIX

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                                    At 4:10 pm +0100 2003-07-02, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                    >At 10:59 am -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                    >>Ben Fowler wrote:

                                    >>>Or you could post instructions on how to create the bugged version.
                                    >>
                                    >> See the instructions at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers . I recently posted all the necessary files and patches.
                                    >>

                                    >O.K. I was following the bit where it said:
                                    >
                                    >You can compile a Terminal version of Vim pretty much the same as for any other version of UNIX

                                    I have discovered that the Vim version can be run in a terminal with the command

                                    % src/build/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -u NONE -U NONE

                                    My :ver is
                                    VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 06/22/03 23:54:21)
                                    MacOS X (unix) version
                                    Included patches: 1-14
                                    Big version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
[...]
                                    user vimrc file: "~/.vimrc"
                                    user exrc file: "~/.exrc"
                                    system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
                                    user gvimrc file: "~/.gvimrc"

                                    which is probably a lot closer to what you were expecting

                                    When I try to reproduce the bug with the commands:
                                    :set cb=unnamed^M:set clipboard=unnamed^MiAlpha^MBeta^MGammak0yjllp

                                    It still works for me!

                                    I will try with one of the supplied makefiles.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003

                                      Yes, that is one of the items on the FAQ at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#FAQ .

                                      > My :ver is
                                      > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled 06/22/03 23:54:21)
                                      > MacOS X (unix) version
                                      [snip]

                                      > When I try to reproduce the bug with the commands:
                                      > :set cb=unnamed^M:set clipboard=unnamed^MiAlpha^MBeta^MGammak0yjllp
                                      >
                                      > It still works for me!
                                      >
                                      > I will try with one of the supplied makefiles.

                                      Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only
                                      shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set
                                      to "unnamed". Try the experiment with vim running in a Terminal window, then try

                                      :gui

                                      and test again. For me, the bug reappears.

                                      --Benji Fisher
                                    • Ben Fowler
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                        At 2:16 pm -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                        >Ben Fowler wrote:
                                        >>At 4:10 pm +0100 2003-07-02, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                        >[ ... ]
                                        > Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".

                                        O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.

                                        I will spend afew minutes on this now ...

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                          At 5:54 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                          >At 2:16 pm -0400 2003-07-02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                          >>Ben Fowler wrote:
                                          >>>At 4:10 pm +0100 2003-07-02, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                          >>[ ... ]
                                          >> Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".
                                          >
                                          >O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.
                                          >
                                          >I will spend afew minutes on this now ...

                                          FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                          The problem seems to be inside do_put( );

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                            At 6:42 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                            >At 5:54 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                            >>>[ ... ]
                                            >>> Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".
                                            >>
                                            >>O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.
                                            >>
                                            >>I will spend afew minutes on this now ...
                                            >
                                            >FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                            >The problem seems to be inside do_put( );

                                            When y_type has the value 0 (MCHAR) and not 1 (MLINE).

                                            Ben

                                            Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
                                          • Bram Moolenaar
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                              Ben Fowler wrote:

                                              > At 5:54 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                              > >>[ ... ]
                                              > >> Yes, it seems to work properly when run in a terminal. So the bug
                                              > >> only shows up when using the Carbon version with the GUI active and
                                              > >> 'clipboard' set to "unnamed".
                                              > >
                                              > >O.K. I have seen this happen when running the gui version compiled by me.
                                              > >
                                              > >I will spend afew minutes on this now ...
                                              >
                                              > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                              > The problem seems to be inside do_put( );

                                              Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.

                                              A shot in the dark: Did you try compiling without optimizing? I know
                                              that gcc 3.1 with optimizing causes obscure problems sometimes.

                                              --
                                              LAUNCELOT leaps into SHOT with a mighty cry and runs the GUARD through and
                                              hacks him to the floor. Blood. Swashbuckling music (perhaps).

                                            • Ben Fowler
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                                At 8:54 pm +0200 2003-07-03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                                >Ben Fowler wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                                >> The problem seems to be inside do_put( );
                                                >
                                                >Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.
                                                >
                                                >A shot in the dark: Did you try compiling without optimizing? I know
                                                >that gcc 3.1 with optimizing causes obscure problems sometimes.

                                                Most grateful for your comments.

                                                The 'dirty deed' (y_current->y_type changing from MLINE to MCHAR) happens
                                                in ops.c on line 864. (Typos excepted, I am not at my OS X machine).

                                                I will try what you suggest.

                                                It is not do_put( ) containing gui specific code, but the global data
                                                causing it to misbahave, I think.

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                                  At 9:25 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                                  >At 8:54 pm +0200 2003-07-03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                                  >>Ben Fowler wrote:
                                                  >>
                                                  >> > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                                  >>> The problem seems to be inside do_put( );
                                                  >>
                                                  >>Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.
                                                  >>
                                                  >>A shot in the dark: Did you try compiling without optimizing? I know
                                                  >>that gcc 3.1 with optimizing causes obscure problems sometimes.
                                                  >
                                                  >Most grateful for your comments.
                                                  >
                                                  >The 'dirty deed' (y_current->y_type changing from MLINE to MCHAR) happens
                                                  >in ops.c on line 864. (Typos excepted, I am not at my OS X machine).
                                                  >
                                                  >I will try what you suggest.
                                                  >
                                                  >It is not do_put( ) containing gui specific code, but the global data
                                                  >causing it to misbahave, I think.

                                                  A sample gcc command used during compilation is:

                                                  /usr/bin/gcc3 -c -F/Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build -I/Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/include -Iproto -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -arch ppc -fno-common -fpascal-strings -O0 -Wmost -Wno-four-char-constants -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pipe "-fmessage-length=0" -mdynamic-no-pic -g -precomp-trustfile /Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/os_mac.build/vim.build/TrustedPrecomps.txt -Wp,-header-mapfile,/Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/os_mac.build/vim.build/Vim.hmap "-DMACOS_X_UNIX" ops.c -o /Volumes/Ben/SF/vim/src/build/os_mac.build/vim.build/Objects-normal/ppc/ops.o

                                                  I think that this specifies no optimisation, and nothing out of the ordinary.

                                                  After :set cb=unnamed, a yank (Y) operation yanks into y_regs[ 0 ], but do-put (ops.c line 3061)
                                                  reads from y_regs[ 37 ] . Curiously, the y_array for that register contains "Beta" as expected
                                                  (following the given recipe for evincing the defect), but its y_type is wrong.

                                                  I expect that there is a simple explanation, but for me it time to shutdown the Mac till
                                                  tomorrow.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 4, 2003
                                                    At 9:25 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                                    >At 8:54 pm +0200 2003-07-03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                                    >>Ben Fowler wrote:
                                                    >>
                                                    >> > FWIW, using the ex command :put does not have the problem.
                                                    >>> The problem seems to be inside do_put( );
                                                    >>
                                                    > >Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.

                                                    I wonder whether the problem is on line 3736 of

                                                    type = (strchr(*textOfClip, '\r') != NULL) ? MLINE : MCHAR;

                                                    and that \r character needs to be the current EOL for the file being edited.

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jul 4, 2003
                                                      At 5:57 pm +0100 2003-07-04, Ben Fowler wrote:
                                                      >At 9:25 pm +0100 2003-07-03, Ben Fowler wrote:

                                                      >> >Does do_put() contain Mac GUI specific code? Don't think so.
                                                      >
                                                      >I wonder whether the problem is on line 3736 of gui_mac.c
                                                      >
                                                      > type = (strchr(*textOfClip, '\r') != NULL) ? MLINE : MCHAR;
                                                      >
                                                      >and that \r character needs to be the current EOL for the file being edited.

                                                      Certainly if I swap it for a \n, the problem goes away.

                                                      I suspect that when the gui is mot active, using the * register does not go
                                                      through the system clipboard, which is why this only turns up when using
                                                      the gui, when this is the procedure for the * register.

                                                      Certainly if am using the same Carbonised binary in a terminal, yanking
                                                      to the * register does not affect the system clipboard, or any clipboard
                                                      within Terminal.app .

                                                      Are these features or bugs?

                                                      Is there anyone here who knows the code well enough to provide a fix. I suspect
                                                      that each instance of a literal '\r' in the gui code will need to be examined.