using Meta / Option / Command keys on Mac OS X?

  • Stephen Riehm
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2003
      Hi Guys,

      I haven't done any serious coding on my Mac for a few years now, and
      since then things seem to have changed.

      The <M-x> syntax for mapping special characters never really worked
      properly, but at least mapping the resulting characters used to work on
      Mac OS 9 (with Vim 5.*). Now I've got OS X 10.2.6 and downloaded vim
      6.2.14, but none of my meta character mappings work. (ie: 'alt-{').
      Even mapping the keys manually has no effect (the mapping exists, but
      typing the character simply inserts the character without modification).

      I checked news & google etc but didn't find anything recent, and this
      doesn't seem to be included in the current list of known bugs at
      http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Bugs (similar but different bugs (lost
      menu shortcuts)).

      (Dec. 2001: discusses this issue with a proposed solution - but it
      doesn't appear to have been implemented yet)

      Is anyone "working" on this problem at the moment?

      I would love to get my bracketing macros working again on OS X, but
      they rely heavily on meta-key combinations. (I still use the macros
      heavily on windows and linux and they work just fine there). If no-one
      is working on this at the moment I guess I'll have to try my hand at
      some C coding again for a change :-)

      Thanks in advance,

      Steve