Re: MacVim @+ register not copied to the clipboard

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
      2009/4/5 pr3d4t0r:

      > On Apr 5, 7:51 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
      >> Are you starting MacVim from Terminal while using GNU screen by any
      >> chance?  GNU screen breaks the connection to the pasteboard server for
      >> some reason so any program started from within screen will not have
      >> clipboard support (this is not a MacVim-specific issue).  (If you are
      >> not using "screen" then perhaps you could try starting MacVim in
      >> different ways and see if that fixes the problem, e.g. double-click
      >> icon, use mvim script, etc.)
      >
      > Yes, I am using screen along with everything else.  See my previous
      > reply (I didn't realize that you'd already replied to me).
      >
      > Thanks very much for your help!

      I'm glad you sorted it out.

      Unfortunately there does not seem to be a fix for the GNU screen
      problem. You can use "open" like you said but then you can no longer
      pass command line parameters (apart from file names) so it is a rather
      limited solution. I'm still hoping somebody will contact the "screen"
      developers and have them fix this.

    • pr3d4t0r
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
        On Apr 5, 8:22 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
        > Unfortunately there does not seem to be a fix for the GNU screen
        > problem.  You can use "open" like you said but then you can no longer
        > pass command line parameters (apart from file names) so it is a rather
        > limited solution.  I'm still hoping somebody will contact the "screen"
        > developers and have them fix this.

        If there is a bug filed in MacVim that you can point me at so that I
        can understand how MacVim links to the system clipboard, and then find
        a workaround. One alternative I was thinking of is having a Python
        (maybe even C?) plugin that is loaded silently under OS X and
        communicates with the clipboard that way when running screen.

        I will also look into patching screen -- I'm not a committer there and
        have crossed swords with too many GNU guys because we have different
        views of reality when it comes to licensing so I'm not sure if they'd
        accept a patch.

        Thanks and cheers,

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
          2009/4/5 pr3d4t0r:

          > On Apr 5, 8:22 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
          >> Unfortunately there does not seem to be a fix for the GNU screen
          >> problem.  You can use "open" like you said but then you can no longer
          >> pass command line parameters (apart from file names) so it is a rather
          >> limited solution.  I'm still hoping somebody will contact the "screen"
          >> developers and have them fix this.
          >
          > If there is a bug filed in MacVim that you can point me at so that I
          > can understand how MacVim links to the system clipboard, and then find
          > a workaround.  One alternative I was thinking of is having a Python
          > (maybe even C?) plugin that is loaded silently under OS X and
          > communicates with the clipboard that way when running screen.
          >
          > I will also look into patching screen -- I'm not a committer there and
          > have crossed swords with too many GNU guys because we have different
          > views of reality when it comes to licensing so I'm not sure if they'd
          > accept a patch.

          The problem has been discussed on this list (you'll have to search for
          it) and there and issue was created:

          http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=106

          Basically, there is a process called "pboard" which apps communicate
          with to implement copy/paste. From within "screen" this process is
          unreachable (for some unknown reason). I have tried connecting to it
          using both the Carbon and Cocoa APIs but you always get a NULL pointer
          when you try to access "pboard" from within "screen".

          What this means is that unless you know how the Carbon/Cocoa APIs work
          internally it is going to be hard to fix this problem. You'd have to
          create some other process that is launched outside "screen" and
          connect via that process to the pasteboard server. I never even
          considered trying this because it must be much easier to just patch
          "screen".

        • pr3d4t0r
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
            Björn and everyone,

            Thanks for your help in figuring out the clipboard / screen
            situation. The code is written and working now -- w00t!

            I just posted paster.vim - a configurable script for posting text to a
            public pastebin to vim.org and to my site.

            Take care and have a great weekend,

            pr3d4t0r
            http://eugenciurana.com/paster.vim

          • pr3d4t0r