Re: MacVim @+ register not copied to the clipboard

  • pr3d4t0r
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
      On Apr 5, 7:51 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
      > Are you starting MacVim from Terminal while using GNU screen by any
      > chance?  GNU screen breaks the connection to the pasteboard server for
      > some reason so any program started from within screen will not have
      > clipboard support (this is not a MacVim-specific issue).  (If you are
      > not using "screen" then perhaps you could try starting MacVim in
      > different ways and see if that fixes the problem, e.g. double-click
      > icon, use mvim script, etc.)

      Yes, I am using screen along with everything else. See my previous
      reply (I didn't realize that you'd already replied to me).

      Thanks very much for your help!

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
        2009/4/5 pr3d4t0r:

        > On Apr 5, 7:51 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
        >> Are you starting MacVim from Terminal while using GNU screen by any
        >> chance?  GNU screen breaks the connection to the pasteboard server for
        >> some reason so any program started from within screen will not have
        >> clipboard support (this is not a MacVim-specific issue).  (If you are
        >> not using "screen" then perhaps you could try starting MacVim in
        >> different ways and see if that fixes the problem, e.g. double-click
        >> icon, use mvim script, etc.)
        >
        > Yes, I am using screen along with everything else.  See my previous
        > reply (I didn't realize that you'd already replied to me).
        >
        > Thanks very much for your help!

        I'm glad you sorted it out.

        Unfortunately there does not seem to be a fix for the GNU screen
        problem. You can use "open" like you said but then you can no longer
        pass command line parameters (apart from file names) so it is a rather
        limited solution. I'm still hoping somebody will contact the "screen"
        developers and have them fix this.

      • pr3d4t0r
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
          On Apr 5, 8:22 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
          > Unfortunately there does not seem to be a fix for the GNU screen
          > problem.  You can use "open" like you said but then you can no longer
          > pass command line parameters (apart from file names) so it is a rather
          > limited solution.  I'm still hoping somebody will contact the "screen"
          > developers and have them fix this.

          If there is a bug filed in MacVim that you can point me at so that I
          can understand how MacVim links to the system clipboard, and then find
          a workaround. One alternative I was thinking of is having a Python
          (maybe even C?) plugin that is loaded silently under OS X and
          communicates with the clipboard that way when running screen.

          I will also look into patching screen -- I'm not a committer there and
          have crossed swords with too many GNU guys because we have different
          views of reality when it comes to licensing so I'm not sure if they'd
          accept a patch.

          Thanks and cheers,

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
            2009/4/5 pr3d4t0r:

            > On Apr 5, 8:22 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
            >> Unfortunately there does not seem to be a fix for the GNU screen
            >> problem.  You can use "open" like you said but then you can no longer
            >> pass command line parameters (apart from file names) so it is a rather
            >> limited solution.  I'm still hoping somebody will contact the "screen"
            >> developers and have them fix this.
            >
            > If there is a bug filed in MacVim that you can point me at so that I
            > can understand how MacVim links to the system clipboard, and then find
            > a workaround.  One alternative I was thinking of is having a Python
            > (maybe even C?) plugin that is loaded silently under OS X and
            > communicates with the clipboard that way when running screen.
            >
            > I will also look into patching screen -- I'm not a committer there and
            > have crossed swords with too many GNU guys because we have different
            > views of reality when it comes to licensing so I'm not sure if they'd
            > accept a patch.

            The problem has been discussed on this list (you'll have to search for
            it) and there and issue was created:

            http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=106

            Basically, there is a process called "pboard" which apps communicate
            with to implement copy/paste. From within "screen" this process is
            unreachable (for some unknown reason). I have tried connecting to it
            using both the Carbon and Cocoa APIs but you always get a NULL pointer
            when you try to access "pboard" from within "screen".

            What this means is that unless you know how the Carbon/Cocoa APIs work
            internally it is going to be hard to fix this problem. You'd have to
            create some other process that is launched outside "screen" and
            connect via that process to the pasteboard server. I never even
            considered trying this because it must be much easier to just patch
            "screen".

          • pr3d4t0r
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
              Björn and everyone,

              Thanks for your help in figuring out the clipboard / screen
              situation. The code is written and working now -- w00t!

              I just posted paster.vim - a configurable script for posting text to a
              public pastebin to vim.org and to my site.

              Take care and have a great weekend,

              pr3d4t0r
              http://eugenciurana.com/paster.vim

            • pr3d4t0r