Re: MacVim @+ register not copied to the clipboard

  • pr3d4t0r
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
      On Apr 5, 4:43 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
      > 2009/4/5 John Beckett:
      > > pr3d4t0r wrote:
      > >> :let @+ = "this is a test."
      >
      > > Does MacVim show '+clipboard' for the :version command?
      >
      > As far as I can tell those tips are completely outdated.  There is a
      > clipboard on Mac OS X and MacVim.app uses it properly -- there is no
      > need to use "pbcopy/pbpaste".  I already said this in another post but
      > interaction with the pasteboard is fully supported in both GUI and
      > terminal mode (the latter only if you are using the latest snapshot
      > version).  The "+" and "*" registers are one and the same and by
      > default you can use <D-x>/<D-c>/<D-v> to cut/copy/paste just like in
      > any other Mac app.

      OKi, here we go:

      1. This is on MacVim 7.2 stable 1.2 (33.3)
      2. +clipboard is set when I run :version
      3. Select/yank, select/Cmd-C, select/copy-icon only copy the text
      within
      MacVim -- none of these things make it to the clipboard
      4. Programmatic copy by assigning a value to @+ doesn't copy the
      text to the system clipboard either

      For no. 4, here is the complete code snippet that tries to copy the
      text to the clipboard:

      for line in output
      let nPtr = match(line, s:PASTE_RESPONSE_FLAG)

      if nPtr != -1
      let location = s:ParseLocationFrom(line)
      echomsg location

      if has("gui_running")
      let clipboardContents = split(location, " ")
      let @+ = clipboardContents[0x01]
      endif

      return
      endif
      endfor

      The only case that I care about is (4), because this emerged from a
      script that I wrote with some of the guys in #vim/Freenode and that we
      want to publish this weekend. It'd be awesome if we could report "the
      script was tested and passed across all platforms" or something along
      those lines. We are able to copy to the clipboard with gvim just fine
      across all platforms.

      Here is my .vimrc:
      http://eugeneciurana.com/pastebin/pastebin.php?show=40955

      And my .gvimrc:
      http://eugeneciurana.com/pastebin/pastebin.php?show=40957

      One more thing: gvim copies to the clipboard fine on the same Mac
      where I'm testing this. I can assign @+ = "whatever" and it'll make
      it to the clipboard. So this problem appears to be isolated to MacVim
      only.

      Thanks in advance and have a great weekend,

      pr3d4t0r

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
        2009/4/5 pr3d4t0r:

        > OKi, here we go:
        >
        > 1. This is on MacVim 7.2 stable 1.2 (33.3)
        > 2. +clipboard is set when I run :version
        > 3. Select/yank, select/Cmd-C, select/copy-icon only copy the text
        > within
        >   MacVim -- none of these things make it to the clipboard
        > 4. Programmatic copy by assigning a value to @+ doesn't copy the
        >   text to the system clipboard either

        Are you starting MacVim from Terminal while using GNU screen by any
        chance? GNU screen breaks the connection to the pasteboard server for
        some reason so any program started from within screen will not have
        clipboard support (this is not a MacVim-specific issue). (If you are
        not using "screen" then perhaps you could try starting MacVim in
        different ways and see if that fixes the problem, e.g. double-click
        icon, use mvim script, etc.)

      • pr3d4t0r
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
          On Apr 5, 7:41 am, pr3d4t0r <ciur...@...> wrote:
          > On Apr 5, 4:43 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:

          > > > Does MacVim show '+clipboard' for the :version command?
          >
          > > As far as I can tell those tips are completely outdated.  There is a
          > > clipboard on Mac OS X and MacVim.app uses it properly -- there is no
          > > need to use "pbcopy/pbpaste".  I already said this in another post but
          > > interaction with the pasteboard is fully supported in both GUI and
          > > terminal mode (the latter only if you are using the latest snapshot
          > > version).  The "+" and "*" registers are one and the same and by
          > > default you can use <D-x>/<D-c>/<D-v> to cut/copy/paste just like in
          > > any other Mac app.
          >
          > OKi, here we go:
          >
          > 1. This is on MacVim 7.2 stable 1.2 (33.3)
          > 2. +clipboard is set when I run :version
          > 3. Select/yank, select/Cmd-C, select/copy-icon only copy the text
          > within
          >    MacVim -- none of these things make it to the clipboard
          > 4. Programmatic copy by assigning a value to @+ doesn't copy the
          >    text to the system clipboard either
          >
          > For no. 4, here is the complete code snippet that tries to copy the
          > text to the clipboard:
          >
          >   for line in output
          >     let nPtr = match(line, s:PASTE_RESPONSE_FLAG)
          >
          >     if nPtr != -1
          >       let location = s:ParseLocationFrom(line)
          >       echomsg location
          >
          >       if has("gui_running")
          >         let clipboardContents = split(location, " ")
          >         let @+ = clipboardContents[0x01]
          >       endif
          >
          >       return
          >     endif
          >   endfor
          >
          > The only case that I care about is (4), because this emerged from a
          > script that I wrote with some of the guys in #vim/Freenode and that we
          > want to publish this weekend.  It'd be awesome if we could report "the
          > script was tested and passed across all platforms" or something along
          > those lines.  We are able to copy to the clipboard with gvim just fine
          > across all platforms.
          >
          > Here is my .vimrc:http://eugeneciurana.com/pastebin/pastebin.php?show=40955
          >
          > And my .gvimrc:http://eugeneciurana.com/pastebin/pastebin.php?show=40957
          >
          > One more thing:  gvim copies to the clipboard fine on the same Mac
          > where I'm testing this.  I can assign @+ = "whatever" and it'll make
          > it to the clipboard.  So this problem appears to be isolated to MacVim
          > only.
          >
          > Thanks in advance and have a great weekend,

          OKi, I found a way to recreate this.

          If MacVim starts from the GUI (Finder or Quicksilver or whatever) then
          integration with the keyboard works great.

          If MacVim starts from the command line using /usr/bin/mvim or /usr/
          local/bin/mvim then clipboard support doesn't work.

          Thanks and cheers,

          pr3d4t0r
        • pr3d4t0r
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
            On Apr 5, 7:56 am, pr3d4t0r <ciur...@...> wrote:

            > OKi, I found a way to recreate this.
            >
            > If MacVim starts from the GUI (Finder or Quicksilver or whatever) then
            > integration with the keyboard works great.
            >
            > If MacVim starts from the command line using /usr/bin/mvim or /usr/
            > local/bin/mvim then clipboard support doesn't work.

            I found a workaround that seems to fix this. Modify the mvim script
            to use:

            /usr/bin/open /Applications/MacVim.app $*

            That starts MacVim just fine from the command line, with support for
            the clipboard. It doesn't seem to pick up all the options
            from .gvimrc like the number of columns or rows that I want to start
            this at, but otherwise it does the job.

            I haven't analyzed everything that mvim does yet -- I'll wait for your
            comments first, then I can patch it and submit it with this fix. Or
            submit a separate script. Or whatever works.

            Cheers,

            pr3d4t0r
          • pr3d4t0r
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
              On Apr 5, 7:51 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
              > Are you starting MacVim from Terminal while using GNU screen by any
              > chance?  GNU screen breaks the connection to the pasteboard server for
              > some reason so any program started from within screen will not have
              > clipboard support (this is not a MacVim-specific issue).  (If you are
              > not using "screen" then perhaps you could try starting MacVim in
              > different ways and see if that fixes the problem, e.g. double-click
              > icon, use mvim script, etc.)

              Yes, I am using screen along with everything else. See my previous
              reply (I didn't realize that you'd already replied to me).

              Thanks very much for your help!

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
                2009/4/5 pr3d4t0r:

                > On Apr 5, 7:51 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                >> Are you starting MacVim from Terminal while using GNU screen by any
                >> chance?  GNU screen breaks the connection to the pasteboard server for
                >> some reason so any program started from within screen will not have
                >> clipboard support (this is not a MacVim-specific issue).  (If you are
                >> not using "screen" then perhaps you could try starting MacVim in
                >> different ways and see if that fixes the problem, e.g. double-click
                >> icon, use mvim script, etc.)
                >
                > Yes, I am using screen along with everything else.  See my previous
                > reply (I didn't realize that you'd already replied to me).
                >
                > Thanks very much for your help!

                I'm glad you sorted it out.

                Unfortunately there does not seem to be a fix for the GNU screen
                problem. You can use "open" like you said but then you can no longer
                pass command line parameters (apart from file names) so it is a rather
                limited solution. I'm still hoping somebody will contact the "screen"
                developers and have them fix this.

              • pr3d4t0r
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
                  On Apr 5, 8:22 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                  > Unfortunately there does not seem to be a fix for the GNU screen
                  > problem.  You can use "open" like you said but then you can no longer
                  > pass command line parameters (apart from file names) so it is a rather
                  > limited solution.  I'm still hoping somebody will contact the "screen"
                  > developers and have them fix this.

                  If there is a bug filed in MacVim that you can point me at so that I
                  can understand how MacVim links to the system clipboard, and then find
                  a workaround. One alternative I was thinking of is having a Python
                  (maybe even C?) plugin that is loaded silently under OS X and
                  communicates with the clipboard that way when running screen.

                  I will also look into patching screen -- I'm not a committer there and
                  have crossed swords with too many GNU guys because we have different
                  views of reality when it comes to licensing so I'm not sure if they'd
                  accept a patch.

                  Thanks and cheers,

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
                    2009/4/5 pr3d4t0r:

                    > On Apr 5, 8:22 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                    >> Unfortunately there does not seem to be a fix for the GNU screen
                    >> problem.  You can use "open" like you said but then you can no longer
                    >> pass command line parameters (apart from file names) so it is a rather
                    >> limited solution.  I'm still hoping somebody will contact the "screen"
                    >> developers and have them fix this.
                    >
                    > If there is a bug filed in MacVim that you can point me at so that I
                    > can understand how MacVim links to the system clipboard, and then find
                    > a workaround.  One alternative I was thinking of is having a Python
                    > (maybe even C?) plugin that is loaded silently under OS X and
                    > communicates with the clipboard that way when running screen.
                    >
                    > I will also look into patching screen -- I'm not a committer there and
                    > have crossed swords with too many GNU guys because we have different
                    > views of reality when it comes to licensing so I'm not sure if they'd
                    > accept a patch.

                    The problem has been discussed on this list (you'll have to search for
                    it) and there and issue was created:

                    http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=106

                    Basically, there is a process called "pboard" which apps communicate
                    with to implement copy/paste. From within "screen" this process is
                    unreachable (for some unknown reason). I have tried connecting to it
                    using both the Carbon and Cocoa APIs but you always get a NULL pointer
                    when you try to access "pboard" from within "screen".

                    What this means is that unless you know how the Carbon/Cocoa APIs work
                    internally it is going to be hard to fix this problem. You'd have to
                    create some other process that is launched outside "screen" and
                    connect via that process to the pasteboard server. I never even
                    considered trying this because it must be much easier to just patch
                    "screen".

                  • pr3d4t0r
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 5, 2009
                      Björn and everyone,

                      Thanks for your help in figuring out the clipboard / screen
                      situation. The code is written and working now -- w00t!

                      I just posted paster.vim - a configurable script for posting text to a
                      public pastebin to vim.org and to my site.

                      Take care and have a great weekend,

                      pr3d4t0r
                      http://eugenciurana.com/paster.vim

                    • pr3d4t0r