Re: rubycomplete_rails, gem version

  • Kent Sibilev
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2009
      On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Jason LaRiviere <jason@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Small problem I think could be MacVim related, but I'm not certain.
      > Omni completion in rails files is currently broken for me, using the
      > latest snapshot, and macvim complains of an out-of-date gem version...
      >
      > "-- Omni completion (^O^N^P) -- Searching...Rails requires RubyGems >=
      > 1.3.1 (you have 1.0.1). Please `gem update --system` and try again.
      > Error loading rails environment"
      >
      > Of course, this is the builtin gem version found in /usr/bin/gem, but
      > I have macports gem installed at 1.3.1, and all the required paths are
      > in place.
      >
      > $ /usr/bin/gem --version
      > 1.0.1
      > $ which gem
      > /opt/local/bin/gem
      > $ gem --version
      > 1.3.1
      >
      > From within macvim, things like :ruby require 'rubygems', and :!which
      > gem work fine, and report the correct version. One of the things I
      > liked most about macvim was that when launching even from the dock, it
      > preserves this environment info.
      >
      > rubycomplete_rails and rubycomplete_buffer_loading are both true.
      >
      > So, I'm a little lost. Any ideas what might be going on?

      Run this command from MacVim

      :ruby puts $:

      If you see that it loads Ruby installed by default in /usr/bin then
      you are out of luck. Either use /usr/bin/gem to install the newest
      version of rubygem, or rebuild MacVim from sources, so it would
      reference Ruby installed in /opt/local by MacPorts.

      I use the latter approach personally.

      --
      Kent
      ---

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2009
        @Kent
        Can you share your experience on how to build macvim with self-
        installed ruby?