Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: rubycomplete_rails, gem version

Expand Messages
  • björn
    ... I have no idea of this stuff works, but just as a sanity check have you tried temporarily renaming /usr/bin/gem and then softlinking it to
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      2009/4/1 Jason LaRiviere:
      >
      > Small problem I think could be MacVim related, but I'm not certain.
      > Omni completion in rails files is currently broken for me, using the
      > latest snapshot, and macvim complains of an out-of-date gem version...
      >
      > "-- Omni completion (^O^N^P) -- Searching...Rails requires RubyGems >=
      > 1.3.1 (you have 1.0.1). Please `gem update --system` and try again.
      > Error loading rails environment"
      >
      > Of course, this is the builtin gem version found in /usr/bin/gem, but
      > I have macports gem installed at 1.3.1, and all the required paths are
      > in place.
      >
      > $ /usr/bin/gem --version
      > 1.0.1
      > $ which gem
      > /opt/local/bin/gem
      > $ gem --version
      > 1.3.1
      >
      > From within macvim, things like :ruby require 'rubygems', and :!which
      > gem work fine, and report the correct version. One of the things I
      > liked most about macvim was that when launching even from the dock, it
      > preserves this environment info.
      >
      > rubycomplete_rails and rubycomplete_buffer_loading are both true.
      >
      > So, I'm a little lost. Any ideas what might be going on?

      I have no idea of this stuff works, but just as a sanity check have
      you tried temporarily renaming /usr/bin/gem and then softlinking it to
      /opt/local/bin/gem to see if that works? Have you checked if any of
      the omni completion scripts are hard coded to /usr/bin/gem?

      Björn

      --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
      You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
    • Kent Sibilev
      ... Run this command from MacVim ... If you see that it loads Ruby installed by default in /usr/bin then you are out of luck. Either use /usr/bin/gem to
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Jason LaRiviere <jason@...> wrote:
        >
        > Hello,
        >
        > Small problem I think could be MacVim related, but I'm not certain.
        > Omni completion in rails files is currently broken for me, using the
        > latest snapshot, and macvim complains of an out-of-date gem version...
        >
        > "-- Omni completion (^O^N^P) -- Searching...Rails requires RubyGems >=
        > 1.3.1 (you have 1.0.1). Please `gem update --system` and try again.
        > Error loading rails environment"
        >
        > Of course, this is the builtin gem version found in /usr/bin/gem, but
        > I have macports gem installed at 1.3.1, and all the required paths are
        > in place.
        >
        > $ /usr/bin/gem --version
        > 1.0.1
        > $ which gem
        > /opt/local/bin/gem
        > $ gem --version
        > 1.3.1
        >
        > From within macvim, things like :ruby require 'rubygems', and :!which
        > gem work fine, and report the correct version. One of the things I
        > liked most about macvim was that when launching even from the dock, it
        > preserves this environment info.
        >
        > rubycomplete_rails and rubycomplete_buffer_loading are both true.
        >
        > So, I'm a little lost. Any ideas what might be going on?
        >


        Run this command from MacVim

        :ruby puts $:

        If you see that it loads Ruby installed by default in /usr/bin then
        you are out of luck. Either use /usr/bin/gem to install the newest
        version of rubygem, or rebuild MacVim from sources, so it would
        reference Ruby installed in /opt/local by MacPorts.

        I use the latter approach personally.


        --
        Kent
        ---
        http://www.datanoise.com

        --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
        You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
        -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
      • Chris
        @Kent Can you share your experience on how to build macvim with self- installed ruby? ... --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          @Kent
          Can you share your experience on how to build macvim with self-
          installed ruby?


          On Apr 4, 4:46 pm, Kent Sibilev <ksr...@...> wrote:
          > On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Jason LaRiviere <ja...@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hello,
          >
          > > Small problem I think could be MacVim related, but I'm not certain.
          > >Omnicompletion in rails files is currently broken for me, using the
          > > latest snapshot, and macvim complains of an out-of-date gem version...
          >
          > > "--Omnicompletion (^O^N^P) -- Searching...Rails requires RubyGems >=
          > > 1.3.1 (you have 1.0.1). Please `gem update --system` and try again.
          > > Error loading rails environment"
          >
          > > Of course, this is the builtin gem version found in /usr/bin/gem, but
          > > I have macports gem installed at 1.3.1, and all the required paths are
          > > in place.
          >
          > > $ /usr/bin/gem --version
          > > 1.0.1
          > > $ which gem
          > > /opt/local/bin/gem
          > > $ gem --version
          > > 1.3.1
          >
          > > From within macvim, things like :rubyrequire 'rubygems', and :!which
          > > gem work fine, and report the correct version. One of the things I
          > > liked most about macvim was that when launching even from the dock, it
          > > preserves this environment info.
          >
          > > rubycomplete_rails and rubycomplete_buffer_loading are both true.
          >
          > > So, I'm a little lost. Any ideas what might be going on?
          >
          > Run this command from MacVim
          >
          > :rubyputs $:
          >
          > If you see that it loadsRubyinstalled by default in /usr/bin then
          > you are out of luck. Either use /usr/bin/gem to install the newest
          > version of rubygem, or rebuild MacVim from sources, so it would
          > referenceRubyinstalled in /opt/local by MacPorts.
          >
          > I use the latter approach personally.
          >
          > --
          > Kent
          > ---http://www.datanoise.com

          --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
          You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
          -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.