Re: Shouldn't it be associated with plist files too?

  • Brian McKee
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
      On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:
      >> I right-clicked on an Info.plist file today, and I was surprised to
      >> see
      >> that MacVim was not listed in the "Open With" menu.
      >>
      >> Shouldn't MacVim be registered for *.plist files too?
      >
      > That's how it was, but plist registration was removed because there
      > can be binary plist files. Can you come up with an ftplugin that
      > detects that a file is a binary plist and then converts it to text
      > (using something like `%!plutil -convert xml1 -o - %`)? :-)

      From my .vimrc (darned if I know where I got it from - Google would likely help)
      Seems to work well (although it's not something I've used a lot it's
      been in my .vimrc for a while)

      " ViM autocommands for binary plist files
      " Copyright (C) 2005 Moritz Heckscher
      "
      " Note: When a file changes externally and you answer no to vim's question if
      " you want to write anyway, the autocommands (e.g. for BufWritePost) are still
      " executed, it seems, which could have some unwanted side effects.
      "
      " This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
      " it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
      " the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
      " (at your option) any later version.
      "
      " This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
      " but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
      " MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
      " GNU General Public License for more details.
      augroup plist
      " Delete existing commands (avoid problems if this file is sourced twice)
      autocmd!

      " Set binary mode (needs to be set _before_ reading binary files to avoid
      " breaking lines etc; since setting this for normal plist files doesn't
      " hurt and it's not yet known whether or not the file to be read is stored
      " in binary format, set the option in any case to be sure).
      " Do it before editing a file in a new buffer and before reading a file
      " into in an existing buffer (using ':read foo.plist').
      autocmd BufReadPre,FileReadPre *.plist set binary

      " Define a little function to convert binary files if necessary...
      fun MyBinaryPlistReadPost()
      " Check if the first line just read in indicates a binary plist
      if getline("'[") =~ "^bplist"
      " Filter lines read into buffer (convert to XML with plutil)
      '[,']!plutil -convert xml1 /dev/stdin -o /dev/stdout
      " Many people seem to want to save files originally stored
      " in binary format as such after editing, so memorize format.
      let b:saveAsBinaryPlist = 1
      endif
      " Yeah, plain text (finally or all the way through, either way...)!
      set nobinary
      " Trigger file type detection to get syntax coloring etc. according
      " to file contents (alternative: 'setfiletype xml' to force xml).
      filetype detect
      endfun
      " ... and call it just after editing a file in a new buffer...
      autocmd BufReadPost *.plist call MyBinaryPlistReadPost()
      " ... or when reading a file into an existing buffer (in that case, don't
      " save as binary later on).
      autocmd FileReadPost *.plist call MyBinaryPlistReadPost() | let
      b:saveAsBinaryPlist = 0

      " Define and use functions for conversion back to binary format
      fun MyBinaryPlistWritePre()
      if exists("b:saveAsBinaryPlist") && b:saveAsBinaryPlist
      " Must set binary mode before conversion (for EOL settings)
      set binary
      " Convert buffer lines to be written to binary
      silent '[,']!plutil -convert binary1 /dev/stdin -o /dev/stdout
      " If there was a problem, e.g. when the file contains syntax
      " errors, undo the conversion and go back to nobinary so the
      " file will be saved in text format.
      if v:shell_error | undo | set nobinary | endif
      endif
      endfun
      autocmd BufWritePre,FileWritePre *.plist call MyBinaryPlistWritePre()
      fun MyBinaryPlistWritePost()
      " If file was to be written in binary format and there was no error
      " doing the conversion, ...
      if exists("b:saveAsBinaryPlist") && b:saveAsBinaryPlist && !v:shell_error
      " ... undo the conversion and go back to nobinary so the
      " lines are shown as text again in vim.
      undo
      set nobinary
      endif
      endfun
      autocmd BufWritePost,FileWritePost *.plist call MyBinaryPlistWritePost()
      augroup END