rubycomplete_rails, gem version

  • Jason LaRiviere
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2009
      Hello,

      Small problem I think could be MacVim related, but I'm not certain.
      Omni completion in rails files is currently broken for me, using the
      latest snapshot, and macvim complains of an out-of-date gem version...

      "-- Omni completion (^O^N^P) -- Searching...Rails requires RubyGems >=
      1.3.1 (you have 1.0.1). Please `gem update --system` and try again.
      Error loading rails environment"

      Of course, this is the builtin gem version found in /usr/bin/gem, but
      I have macports gem installed at 1.3.1, and all the required paths are
      in place.

      $ /usr/bin/gem --version
      1.0.1
      $ which gem
      /opt/local/bin/gem
      $ gem --version
      1.3.1

      From within macvim, things like :ruby require 'rubygems', and :!which
      gem work fine, and report the correct version. One of the things I
      liked most about macvim was that when launching even from the dock, it
      preserves this environment info.

      rubycomplete_rails and rubycomplete_buffer_loading are both true.

      So, I'm a little lost. Any ideas what might be going on?

      Thanks for any pointers,
      Jason.

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4 8:09 AM
        2009/4/1 Jason LaRiviere:

        > Small problem I think could be MacVim related, but I'm not certain.
        > Omni completion in rails files is currently broken for me, using the
        > latest snapshot, and macvim complains of an out-of-date gem version...
        >
        > "-- Omni completion (^O^N^P) -- Searching...Rails requires RubyGems >=
        > 1.3.1 (you have 1.0.1). Please `gem update --system` and try again.
        > Error loading rails environment"
        >
        > Of course, this is the builtin gem version found in /usr/bin/gem, but
        > I have macports gem installed at 1.3.1, and all the required paths are
        > in place.
        >
        > $ /usr/bin/gem --version
        > 1.0.1
        > $ which gem
        > /opt/local/bin/gem
        > $ gem --version
        > 1.3.1
        >
        > From within macvim, things like :ruby require 'rubygems', and :!which
        > gem work fine, and report the correct version. One of the things I
        > liked most about macvim was that when launching even from the dock, it
        > preserves this environment info.
        >
        > rubycomplete_rails and rubycomplete_buffer_loading are both true.
        >
        > So, I'm a little lost. Any ideas what might be going on?

        I have no idea of this stuff works, but just as a sanity check have
        you tried temporarily renaming /usr/bin/gem and then softlinking it to
        /opt/local/bin/gem to see if that works? Have you checked if any of
        the omni completion scripts are hard coded to /usr/bin/gem?

      • Kent Sibilev
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4 8:46 AM
          On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Jason LaRiviere <jason@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Small problem I think could be MacVim related, but I'm not certain.
          > Omni completion in rails files is currently broken for me, using the
          > latest snapshot, and macvim complains of an out-of-date gem version...
          >
          > "-- Omni completion (^O^N^P) -- Searching...Rails requires RubyGems >=
          > 1.3.1 (you have 1.0.1). Please `gem update --system` and try again.
          > Error loading rails environment"
          >
          > Of course, this is the builtin gem version found in /usr/bin/gem, but
          > I have macports gem installed at 1.3.1, and all the required paths are
          > in place.
          >
          > $ /usr/bin/gem --version
          > 1.0.1
          > $ which gem
          > /opt/local/bin/gem
          > $ gem --version
          > 1.3.1
          >
          > From within macvim, things like :ruby require 'rubygems', and :!which
          > gem work fine, and report the correct version. One of the things I
          > liked most about macvim was that when launching even from the dock, it
          > preserves this environment info.
          >
          > rubycomplete_rails and rubycomplete_buffer_loading are both true.
          >
          > So, I'm a little lost. Any ideas what might be going on?

          Run this command from MacVim

          :ruby puts $:

          If you see that it loads Ruby installed by default in /usr/bin then
          you are out of luck. Either use /usr/bin/gem to install the newest
          version of rubygem, or rebuild MacVim from sources, so it would
          reference Ruby installed in /opt/local by MacPorts.

          I use the latter approach personally.

          --
          Kent
          ---

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 9 1:45 PM
            @Kent
            Can you share your experience on how to build macvim with self-
            installed ruby?