Re: Unable to display Hebrew correctly on Mac OS/X

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 30, 2009
      On the other OSes, combining characters draw correctly (or close to
      correctly) positioned. On the other OSes, the fonts which have Hebrew
      characters (like Miriam Fixed) can be used to display Hebrew, whereas
      I still can't do that on the Mac.

      Perhaps have a "guifont2" option, which is the fallback font? I don't
      know if that would work, perhaps there is an option yet to be set in
      the font creation or something? I do know that e.g. OpenOffice has
      problems getting the positioning correct, while XeLaTex doesn't
      (because it really uses the font information, so if a font is properly
      coded it looks good).

      On Mar 31, 12:14 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
      > 2009/3/29 Ron Aaron:
      >

      > > The file does render much better with that (series of patches).  And
      > > now it looks like a "reasonable" default happens when I select a font
      > > which previously didn't work (some font I don't know which, is
      > > substituted - even though the default is set not to substitute).
      > > Anyway, the display is much better.
      >
      > Good.
      >
      > I could quite easily code this renderer so that you could specify
      > which font to fall back on but I just don't know if this is worth it
      > and if so, how to implement such an option (let 'guifont' take a list
      > of fonts and try the fonts from top to bottom?).  I'm open for
      > ideas/suggestions.
      >
      > > Hard to believe, but the display on Windows or GTK on Linux is better
      > > still... but at least it is usable now on Mac.
      >
      > In which way are they better?  What do you think I need to do to make
      > MacVim as good as or better than those?
      >
      > Björn
    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2009
        On Mar 31, 8:18 am, Ron Aaron <rambam...@...> wrote:
        > On the other OSes, combining characters draw correctly (or close to
        > correctly) positioned.  On the other OSes, the fonts which have Hebrew
        > characters (like Miriam Fixed) can be used to display Hebrew, whereas
        > I still can't do that on the Mac.
        >
        > Perhaps have a "guifont2" option, which is the fallback font?  I don't
        > know if that would work, perhaps there is an option yet to be set in
        > the font creation or something?  I do know that e.g. OpenOffice has
        > problems getting the positioning correct, while XeLaTex doesn't
        > (because it really uses the font information, so if a font is properly
        > coded it looks good).

        In principle, the 'guifont' option can be a comma-separated list of
        several fonts, and the first (leftmost) of them which is found will be
        used. However, IIUC Vim makes this choice globally, unlike HTML <font
        face=...> and CSS { font-family: ... } where the norm is IIUC to make
        the choice character by character.

        Maybe a change of how that option works in that respect ought to
        belong on Vim's todo list? Bram, what do you think?

        Best regards,
        Tony.
        --
        DENNIS: Oh, very nice. King, eh! I expect you've got a palace and
        fine