Re: macroman/latin-1 encoding

  • Axel Kielhorn
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 20, 2003
      At 19:07 Uhr +0200 2003-06-19, S├ębastien Pierre wrote:
      >Maybe we could hope to switch to kvim, now that Qt is announced to
      >be GPL'ed on OSX.

      Why don't you use GTK-Vim on MacOX. There is a native GTK for Carbon:
      http://gtk-osx.sourceforge.net/index.html

      Axel
    • MURAOKA Taro
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 20, 2003
        Thanks for your report.

        In my patch, there are some plugin files which have Japanese characters.
        It may cause some troubles. Please remove those files and try again.

        Example commands to remove:
        cd vim62/runtime/plugin
        rm -f autodate.vim
        rm -f cmdex.vim
        rm -f dicwin.vim
        rm -f format.vim
        rm -f hz_ja.vim
        rm -f scrnmode.vim
        rm -f verifyenc.vim

        Regards.
        ----
        MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>

        > I tried building vim 6.2 using these files, but the application crashes on
        > launch:
      • The Shrubber
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 20, 2003

          Being impatient, i tried your binary directly :-), but did not get
          a nice result.

          :set encoding=MacRoman
          :set fileencoding=latin-1
          :r accents.latin1.test

          If it helps, i have attached test files, who should display in
          Carbon Vim exactly as terminal and gvim.

          Oh well. Hopefully you folks will get this one figured out eventually.

          Best,

          (-S-)

          P.S in case this helps any european latex users,
          my temporary solution is

          \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}

          On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 02:54:20 +0900, MURAOKA Taro koron-at-tka.att.ne.jp |vim-mac@.../1.0-Allow| wrote:
          > I have newer patches. In it, iconv emulation is improved. But it
          > includes all my experimental features and Japanese document only. If
          > you want to try it, it availables at here:
          > http://www.kaoriya.net/dist/vim-6.2.014-difj.tar.bz2
        • The Shrubber
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 20, 2003
            sorry... test files attached

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 20, 2003
              Thanks for your testing and test-file.

              > Being impatient, i tried your binary directly :-), but did not get
              > a nice result.
              >
              > :set encoding=MacRoman
              > :set fileencoding=latin-1
              > :r accents.latin1.test

              Please try these commands, with same binary:
              :set gfn=Courier:h12
              :set encoding=macroman
              :e ++enc=latin1 accents.latin1.test

              I hope it will bring better result for you.
              ----
              MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>
            • The Shrubber
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 23, 2003
                > :set encoding=macroman
                > :e ++enc=latin1 accents.latin1.test

                This does work!

                Out of curiosity, why doesn't it work if i try the same thing with
                utf-8? It says "[not converted]".

                Thanks,

                (-S-)

                P.S still have not had time to try building the src
              • Axel Kielhorn
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 23, 2003
                  At 22:37 Uhr +0900 2003-06-20, MURAOKA Taro wrote:
                  >Thanks for your report.
                  >
                  >In my patch, there are some plugin files which have Japanese characters.
                  >It may cause some troubles. Please remove those files and try again.
                  >
                  >Example commands to remove:
                  > cd vim62/runtime/plugin
                  > rm -f autodate.vim
                  > rm -f cmdex.vim
                  > rm -f dicwin.vim
                  > rm -f format.vim
                  > rm -f hz_ja.vim
                  > rm -f scrnmode.vim
                  > rm -f verifyenc.vim

                  After removing these files everything works fine.
                  But I'm surprised they caused problems. I instaled a Japanese user
                  and tried to run your Vim in her account, but still no success, the
                  menu appear and after that an endless beachball.

                  I have still problems with Osaka-Mono, Osaka works but is unusable
                  because it is not fixed width.

                  Axel,
                  who is very happy that the shortcuts are the same in Japanese MacOS,
                  otherwise I would still be trying to log out.