[Tip] Building MacVim on Tiger (10.4.11 PoweBook G4)

  • Simo Salminen
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2009
      Here is summary of what was required to be done to get MacVim built on
      Tiger 10.4.11.

      - The normal building documentation recommends that you get the source
      using this: "git clone git://repo.or.cz/MacVim.git vim7". However,
      that version has problems (binary builds but when you try to open vim
      window it won't open). I suggest you download new snapshot directly
      from http://repo.or.cz/w/MacVim.git. Click on the "Snapshot 43" or
      better, then click on the download link (.tar.gz or zip). This way you
      don't need to install git.

      - If you have XCode 2.0, it is too old. Install XCode 2.5. You can
      download it by googling "xcode 2.5 download". The download site
      requires free registration. The download is about 1 GB.

      - After installing XCode 2.5, go to Xcode's Preferences > Building.
      Set it to build into "Project Directory". This might be the default
      setting.

      - After this proceed as documented in here: http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Building

      I used this configuration spell successfully: ./configure
      --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp --enable-
      cscope
      --enable-gui=macvim

      After building, I renamed the previous MacVim.app to MacVim-
      stable.app, and moved the new MacVim.app to Applications/ folder.

      Everything was really easy so if you are planning on building your own
      version don't hesitate.

      Building my own binary with less bloat and enabling the Quickstart
      from MacVim preferences made launching new windows *much* more faster.

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2009
        Hi Simo,

        thanks for these detailed steps :-)

        On 12.03.2009, at 19:11, Simo Salminen wrote:

        > Building my own binary with less bloat and enabling the Quickstart
        > from MacVim preferences made launching new windows *much* more faster.

        I bet that this is mainly due to quickstart. As far as I know the
        official snapshots don't have any features enabled that degrade
        performance, compared to your configuration.

        Nico

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2009
          Hi Simo,

          2009/3/13 Simo Salminen:

          > Here is summary of what was required to be done to get MacVim built on
          > Tiger 10.4.11.
          >
          > - The normal building documentation recommends that you get the source
          > using this: "git clone git://repo.or.cz/MacVim.git vim7". However,
          > that version has problems (binary builds but when you try to open vim
          > window it won't open). I suggest you download new snapshot directly
          > from http://repo.or.cz/w/MacVim.git. Click on the "Snapshot 43" or
          > better, then click on the download link (.tar.gz or zip). This way you
          > don't need to install git.

          That the latest source code version would have this problem sounds
          unlikely -- the only difference between snap 43 and the version in the
          repo is a modified Colors.plist. Just rebuild the latest version and
          it should work.

          > I used this configuration spell successfully: ./configure
          > --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp --enable-
          > cscope
          > --enable-gui=macvim
          >
          > After building, I renamed the previous MacVim.app to MacVim-
          > stable.app, and moved the new MacVim.app to Applications/ folder.
          >
          > Everything was really easy so if you are planning on building your own
          > version don't hesitate.
          >
          > Building my own binary with less bloat and enabling the Quickstart
          > from MacVim preferences made launching new windows *much* more faster.

          Like Nico said: there is not much difference between the snapshot I
          build and what you just outlined -- the only thing I can spot right
          now is that I build a "huge" version whereas your instructions will
          give you a normal one. The binary sizes will differ a bit though
          since I build a universal binary. At any rate, there should be no
          visible difference in speed.

          Also, I still maintain that you _should_ download Git in order to
          build MacVim since it will make it a lot easier to build a new version
          whenever the repo is updated. (This is why I so carefully explain how
          to install Git on the wiki page and only briefly mention that is not
          entierly necessary.)