Re: Snapshot 43 - Python syntax highlighting weirdness

  • Zvezdan Petkovic
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
      On Mar 1, 2009, at 2:15 PM, R. Hicks wrote:
      > In the meantime can you put in on the Vim site or something so we can
      > all taste its goodness?

      I definitely can.
      However, I'd like to hear back from the current maintainer.
      I just sent him the file and asked him how does he want to proceed.

      If he doesn't reply in a couple of days, I'll release it in the "wild".
      :-)

      Zvezdan

    • R. Hicks
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2009
        On 3/2/09 1:26 AM, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
        > On Mar 1, 2009, at 2:15 PM, R. Hicks wrote:
        >> In the meantime can you put in on the Vim site or something so we can
        >> all taste its goodness?
        >
        > I definitely can.
        > However, I'd like to hear back from the current maintainer.
        > I just sent him the file and asked him how does he want to proceed.

        If you release it on the vim site you can just say "alternative" and be
        done with it. :-)

        Up to you, respect whatever you decide.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 22, 2009
          2009/3/1 Matt Tolton <matt@...>:

          > It's a bug in the python syntax file.  If you add "contained" to the
          > pythonDecoratorName syntax item then it fixes it.  I emailed the
          > maintainer and he fixed it, so it will probably be fixed the next time
          > bjorn updates the runtime files.

          I've been waiting and waiting for that update to the Python runtime
          file but it still hasn't happened (I just updated the runtime files
          again today). Matt: did the maintainer actually send the new runtime
          file to Bram for inclusion into Vim? Do you mind nudging him again
          perhaps?

          I'm willing to release a new snapshot if we get this issue resolved.

        • Matt Tolton
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 22, 2009
            I was CC'd on a patch that fixed it. I just pinged back on that
            thread to both the maintainer and Bram, asking for a status update.

            On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 5:10 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

            > 2009/3/1 Matt Tolton <matt@...>:
            >>
            >> It's a bug in the python syntax file.  If you add "contained" to the
            >> pythonDecoratorName syntax item then it fixes it.  I emailed the
            >> maintainer and he fixed it, so it will probably be fixed the next time
            >> bjorn updates the runtime files.
            >
            > I've been waiting and waiting for that update to the Python runtime
            > file but it still hasn't happened (I just updated the runtime files
            > again today).  Matt: did the maintainer actually send the new runtime
            > file to Bram for inclusion into Vim?  Do you mind nudging him again
            > perhaps?
            >
            > I'm willing to release a new snapshot if we get this issue resolved.
            >
            > Björn

          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 22, 2009
              Bjorn Winckler wrote:

              > 2009/3/1 Matt Tolton <matt@...>:
              > >
              > > It's a bug in the python syntax file. =A0If you add "contained" to the
              > > pythonDecoratorName syntax item then it fixes it. =A0I emailed the
              > > maintainer and he fixed it, so it will probably be fixed the next time
              > > bjorn updates the runtime files.
              >
              > I've been waiting and waiting for that update to the Python runtime
              > file but it still hasn't happened (I just updated the runtime files
              > again today). Matt: did the maintainer actually send the new runtime
              > file to Bram for inclusion into Vim? Do you mind nudging him again
              > perhaps?
              >
              > I'm willing to release a new snapshot if we get this issue resolved.

              I just uploaded the current version of runtime files.

              255. You work for a newspaper and your editor asks you to write an
              article about Internet addiction...in the "first person."

            • Zvezdan Petkovic
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 23, 2009
                On Mar 22, 2009, at 4:00 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                > I just uploaded the current version of runtime files.

                I'm sorry for being too busy to keep up with this thread.
                I mentioned previously that I have an improved python syntax file.
                Since Bram is also following the thread this is a good opportunity to
                get his attention too.

                I communicated with Neil (the current maintainer) and sent him my new
                python syntax file. He agrees that we should get it to other people
                to try.

                I and several other people use this syntax file for about two years
                already on large professional Zope applications that use all features
                of Python and doctests. The fixes and improvements are described
                extensively in the comments of the file itself.

                I'm attaching it here, although I do plan to open an account on
                vim.org and put it there (perhaps some other goodies too :-)

                Save it as ~/.vim/syntax/python.vim and give it a try.

                Zvezdan