Re: Snapshot 43 - Python syntax highlighting weirdness

  • R. Hicks
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
      On 2/28/09 11:39 PM, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
      > On Feb 28, 2009, at 7:28 PM, Matt Tolton wrote:
      >> It's a bug in the python syntax file. If you add "contained" to the
      >> pythonDecoratorName syntax item then it fixes it. I emailed the
      >> maintainer and he fixed it, so it will probably be fixed the next time
      >> bjorn updates the runtime files.
      >
      > Actually, that file is full of errors.
      >
      > - regular expressions for many syntax elements are not fully correct
      > - the synchronization is not very good
      > - it cannot highlight python code in doctests at all.
      > - it cannot higlight decorators that are methods of an object
      > - ...
      >
      > I have a syntax file that fixes all the issues, adds the highlighting
      > for doctests, fixes the synchronization, and brings all the keywords
      > and exceptions up-to-date with Python 2.6 and 3.0.
      >
      > I'll try to get it into Vim with either the current maintainer support
      > or vim-dev and Bram directly.
      >
      > My syntax file is tested every single day on large professional Zope
      > projects that use all features of Python.

      In the meantime can you put in on the Vim site or something so we can
      all taste its goodness?

      Robert

    • Zvezdan Petkovic
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
        On Mar 1, 2009, at 2:15 PM, R. Hicks wrote:
        > In the meantime can you put in on the Vim site or something so we can
        > all taste its goodness?

        I definitely can.
        However, I'd like to hear back from the current maintainer.
        I just sent him the file and asked him how does he want to proceed.

        If he doesn't reply in a couple of days, I'll release it in the "wild".
        :-)

        Zvezdan

      • R. Hicks
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2009
          On 3/2/09 1:26 AM, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
          > On Mar 1, 2009, at 2:15 PM, R. Hicks wrote:
          >> In the meantime can you put in on the Vim site or something so we can
          >> all taste its goodness?
          >
          > I definitely can.
          > However, I'd like to hear back from the current maintainer.
          > I just sent him the file and asked him how does he want to proceed.

          If you release it on the vim site you can just say "alternative" and be
          done with it. :-)

          Up to you, respect whatever you decide.

          Robert

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 22, 2009
            2009/3/1 Matt Tolton <matt@...>:

            > It's a bug in the python syntax file.  If you add "contained" to the
            > pythonDecoratorName syntax item then it fixes it.  I emailed the
            > maintainer and he fixed it, so it will probably be fixed the next time
            > bjorn updates the runtime files.

            I've been waiting and waiting for that update to the Python runtime
            file but it still hasn't happened (I just updated the runtime files
            again today). Matt: did the maintainer actually send the new runtime
            file to Bram for inclusion into Vim? Do you mind nudging him again
            perhaps?

            I'm willing to release a new snapshot if we get this issue resolved.

          • Matt Tolton
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 22, 2009
              I was CC'd on a patch that fixed it. I just pinged back on that
              thread to both the maintainer and Bram, asking for a status update.

              On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 5:10 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

              > 2009/3/1 Matt Tolton <matt@...>:
              >>
              >> It's a bug in the python syntax file.  If you add "contained" to the
              >> pythonDecoratorName syntax item then it fixes it.  I emailed the
              >> maintainer and he fixed it, so it will probably be fixed the next time
              >> bjorn updates the runtime files.
              >
              > I've been waiting and waiting for that update to the Python runtime
              > file but it still hasn't happened (I just updated the runtime files
              > again today).  Matt: did the maintainer actually send the new runtime
              > file to Bram for inclusion into Vim?  Do you mind nudging him again
              > perhaps?
              >
              > I'm willing to release a new snapshot if we get this issue resolved.
              >
              > Björn

            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 22, 2009
                Bjorn Winckler wrote:

                > 2009/3/1 Matt Tolton <matt@...>:
                > >
                > > It's a bug in the python syntax file. =A0If you add "contained" to the
                > > pythonDecoratorName syntax item then it fixes it. =A0I emailed the
                > > maintainer and he fixed it, so it will probably be fixed the next time
                > > bjorn updates the runtime files.
                >
                > I've been waiting and waiting for that update to the Python runtime
                > file but it still hasn't happened (I just updated the runtime files
                > again today). Matt: did the maintainer actually send the new runtime
                > file to Bram for inclusion into Vim? Do you mind nudging him again
                > perhaps?
                >
                > I'm willing to release a new snapshot if we get this issue resolved.

                I just uploaded the current version of runtime files.

                255. You work for a newspaper and your editor asks you to write an
                article about Internet addiction...in the "first person."

              • Zvezdan Petkovic
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 23, 2009
                  On Mar 22, 2009, at 4:00 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                  > I just uploaded the current version of runtime files.

                  I'm sorry for being too busy to keep up with this thread.
                  I mentioned previously that I have an improved python syntax file.
                  Since Bram is also following the thread this is a good opportunity to
                  get his attention too.

                  I communicated with Neil (the current maintainer) and sent him my new
                  python syntax file. He agrees that we should get it to other people
                  to try.

                  I and several other people use this syntax file for about two years
                  already on large professional Zope applications that use all features
                  of Python and doctests. The fixes and improvements are described
                  extensively in the comments of the file itself.

                  I'm attaching it here, although I do plan to open an account on
                  vim.org and put it there (perhaps some other goodies too :-)

                  Save it as ~/.vim/syntax/python.vim and give it a try.

                  Zvezdan