Snapshot 43 - Python syntax highlighting weirdness

  • Petro Verkhogliad
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009

      after installing snapshot 43 all of the code in my .py file is
      highlighted green when using the "macvim" colorscheme. So for some
      reason text that should appear in black is now the same color as the
      class or function definitions. Reverting to snapshot 42 fixes the
      problem. Unfortunately, I dont have time to track down the problem
      myself.

    • Tobia Conforto
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
        Petro Verkhogliad wrote:
        > after installing snapshot 43 all of the code in my .py file is
        > highlighted green when using the "macvim" colorscheme

        Python code is highlighted in a strange way in snapshot 43, using any
        colorscheme.

        I thought it might have been something in my init files, or maybe a
        legitimate change in the upstream syntax files, and didn't give it
        much thought. But I can confirm this different behaviour between 42
        and 43.

        Tobia

      • Matt Tolton
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
          It's a bug in the python syntax file. If you add "contained" to the
          pythonDecoratorName syntax item then it fixes it. I emailed the
          maintainer and he fixed it, so it will probably be fixed the next time
          bjorn updates the runtime files.

          Matt

          On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Tobia Conforto
          <tobia.conforto@...> wrote:

          > Petro Verkhogliad wrote:
          >> after installing snapshot 43 all of the code in my .py file is
          >> highlighted green when using the "macvim" colorscheme
          >
          > Python code is highlighted in a strange way in snapshot 43, using any
          > colorscheme.
          >
          > I thought it might have been something in my init files, or maybe a
          > legitimate change in the upstream syntax files, and didn't give it
          > much thought.  But I can confirm this different behaviour between 42
          > and 43.
          >
          > Tobia

        • Zvezdan Petkovic
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
            On Feb 28, 2009, at 7:28 PM, Matt Tolton wrote:
            > It's a bug in the python syntax file. If you add "contained" to the
            > pythonDecoratorName syntax item then it fixes it. I emailed the
            > maintainer and he fixed it, so it will probably be fixed the next time
            > bjorn updates the runtime files.

            Actually, that file is full of errors.

            - regular expressions for many syntax elements are not fully correct
            - the synchronization is not very good
            - it cannot highlight python code in doctests at all.
            - it cannot higlight decorators that are methods of an object
            - ...

            I have a syntax file that fixes all the issues, adds the highlighting
            for doctests, fixes the synchronization, and brings all the keywords
            and exceptions up-to-date with Python 2.6 and 3.0.

            I'll try to get it into Vim with either the current maintainer support
            or vim-dev and Bram directly.

            My syntax file is tested every single day on large professional Zope
            projects that use all features of Python.

            Zvezdan

          • Matt Tolton
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
              Hi Zvezdan,

              That's great. Get it submitted. The maintainer responded very
              quickly to me and was happy to fix issues.

              The error I pointed out was recent, and far more egregious than those
              you listed. With it fixed, the python syntax file that comes with vim
              works "well enough" for me.

              Thanks,
              Matt

              On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Zvezdan Petkovic <zpetkovic@...> wrote:

              > On Feb 28, 2009, at 7:28 PM, Matt Tolton wrote:
              >> It's a bug in the python syntax file.  If you add "contained" to the
              >> pythonDecoratorName syntax item then it fixes it.  I emailed the
              >> maintainer and he fixed it, so it will probably be fixed the next time
              >> bjorn updates the runtime files.
              >
              > Actually, that file is full of errors.
              >
              > - regular expressions for many syntax elements are not fully correct
              > - the synchronization is not very good
              > - it cannot highlight python code in doctests at all.
              > - it cannot higlight decorators that are methods of an object
              > - ...
              >
              > I have a syntax file that fixes all the issues, adds the highlighting
              > for doctests, fixes the synchronization, and brings all the keywords
              > and exceptions up-to-date with Python 2.6 and 3.0.
              >
              > I'll try to get it into Vim with either the current maintainer support
              > or vim-dev and Bram directly.
              >
              > My syntax file is tested every single day on large professional Zope
              > projects that use all features of Python.
              >
              >        Zvezdan

            • R. Hicks
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1 11:15 AM
                On 2/28/09 11:39 PM, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
                > On Feb 28, 2009, at 7:28 PM, Matt Tolton wrote:
                >> It's a bug in the python syntax file. If you add "contained" to the
                >> pythonDecoratorName syntax item then it fixes it. I emailed the
                >> maintainer and he fixed it, so it will probably be fixed the next time
                >> bjorn updates the runtime files.
                >
                > Actually, that file is full of errors.
                >
                > - regular expressions for many syntax elements are not fully correct
                > - the synchronization is not very good
                > - it cannot highlight python code in doctests at all.
                > - it cannot higlight decorators that are methods of an object
                > - ...
                >
                > I have a syntax file that fixes all the issues, adds the highlighting
                > for doctests, fixes the synchronization, and brings all the keywords
                > and exceptions up-to-date with Python 2.6 and 3.0.
                >
                > I'll try to get it into Vim with either the current maintainer support
                > or vim-dev and Bram directly.
                >
                > My syntax file is tested every single day on large professional Zope
                > projects that use all features of Python.

                In the meantime can you put in on the Vim site or something so we can
                all taste its goodness?

                Robert

              • Zvezdan Petkovic
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1 10:26 PM
                  On Mar 1, 2009, at 2:15 PM, R. Hicks wrote:
                  > In the meantime can you put in on the Vim site or something so we can
                  > all taste its goodness?

                  I definitely can.
                  However, I'd like to hear back from the current maintainer.
                  I just sent him the file and asked him how does he want to proceed.

                  If he doesn't reply in a couple of days, I'll release it in the "wild".
                  :-)

                  Zvezdan

                • R. Hicks
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 3 1:52 PM
                    On 3/2/09 1:26 AM, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
                    > On Mar 1, 2009, at 2:15 PM, R. Hicks wrote:
                    >> In the meantime can you put in on the Vim site or something so we can
                    >> all taste its goodness?
                    >
                    > I definitely can.
                    > However, I'd like to hear back from the current maintainer.
                    > I just sent him the file and asked him how does he want to proceed.

                    If you release it on the vim site you can just say "alternative" and be
                    done with it. :-)

                    Up to you, respect whatever you decide.

                    Robert

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 22 5:10 AM
                      2009/3/1 Matt Tolton <matt@...>:

                      > It's a bug in the python syntax file.  If you add "contained" to the
                      > pythonDecoratorName syntax item then it fixes it.  I emailed the
                      > maintainer and he fixed it, so it will probably be fixed the next time
                      > bjorn updates the runtime files.

                      I've been waiting and waiting for that update to the Python runtime
                      file but it still hasn't happened (I just updated the runtime files
                      again today). Matt: did the maintainer actually send the new runtime
                      file to Bram for inclusion into Vim? Do you mind nudging him again
                      perhaps?

                      I'm willing to release a new snapshot if we get this issue resolved.

                    • Matt Tolton
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 22 12:11 PM
                        I was CC'd on a patch that fixed it. I just pinged back on that
                        thread to both the maintainer and Bram, asking for a status update.

                        On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 5:10 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

                        > 2009/3/1 Matt Tolton <matt@...>:
                        >>
                        >> It's a bug in the python syntax file.  If you add "contained" to the
                        >> pythonDecoratorName syntax item then it fixes it.  I emailed the
                        >> maintainer and he fixed it, so it will probably be fixed the next time
                        >> bjorn updates the runtime files.
                        >
                        > I've been waiting and waiting for that update to the Python runtime
                        > file but it still hasn't happened (I just updated the runtime files
                        > again today).  Matt: did the maintainer actually send the new runtime
                        > file to Bram for inclusion into Vim?  Do you mind nudging him again
                        > perhaps?
                        >
                        > I'm willing to release a new snapshot if we get this issue resolved.
                        >
                        > Björn

                      • Bram Moolenaar
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 22 1:00 PM
                          Bjorn Winckler wrote:

                          > 2009/3/1 Matt Tolton <matt@...>:
                          > >
                          > > It's a bug in the python syntax file. =A0If you add "contained" to the
                          > > pythonDecoratorName syntax item then it fixes it. =A0I emailed the
                          > > maintainer and he fixed it, so it will probably be fixed the next time
                          > > bjorn updates the runtime files.
                          >
                          > I've been waiting and waiting for that update to the Python runtime
                          > file but it still hasn't happened (I just updated the runtime files
                          > again today). Matt: did the maintainer actually send the new runtime
                          > file to Bram for inclusion into Vim? Do you mind nudging him again
                          > perhaps?
                          >
                          > I'm willing to release a new snapshot if we get this issue resolved.

                          I just uploaded the current version of runtime files.

                          255. You work for a newspaper and your editor asks you to write an
                          article about Internet addiction...in the "first person."

                        • Zvezdan Petkovic
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 23 4:09 PM
                            On Mar 22, 2009, at 4:00 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                            > I just uploaded the current version of runtime files.

                            I'm sorry for being too busy to keep up with this thread.
                            I mentioned previously that I have an improved python syntax file.
                            Since Bram is also following the thread this is a good opportunity to
                            get his attention too.

                            I communicated with Neil (the current maintainer) and sent him my new
                            python syntax file. He agrees that we should get it to other people
                            to try.

                            I and several other people use this syntax file for about two years
                            already on large professional Zope applications that use all features
                            of Python and doctests. The fixes and improvements are described
                            extensively in the comments of the file itself.

                            I'm attaching it here, although I do plan to open an account on
                            vim.org and put it there (perhaps some other goodies too :-)

                            Save it as ~/.vim/syntax/python.vim and give it a try.

                            Zvezdan