Tab title unhelpful with netrw

  • Jason Eggleston
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 23 9:52 AM
      When using netrw and multiple tabs, the title is very terse, like
      this:

      s//d//u/l/w/t/t...

      When editing a file such as this:

      mvim sftp://dev1//usr/local/www/test/tmp/test.txt

      How can I fix this?

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 23 5:39 PM
        Hi Jason,

        On Feb 23, 9:52 am, Jason Eggleston <ja...@...> wrote:
        > When using netrw and multiple tabs, the title is very terse, like
        > this:
        >
        > s//d//u/l/w/t/t...
        >
        > When editing a file such as this:
        >
        > mvim sftp://dev1//usr/local/www/test/tmp/test.txt
        >
        > How can I fix this?

        try adding `set guitablabel=%t` to your ~/_gvimrc or _vimrc (or enter
        `:set guitablabel=%t` while in MacVim). See `:h 'guitablabel'` for
        more information.

        This should be in the FAQ. Perhaps we should even change the default
        setting? The issue comes up a lot (rightfully, because hat's how OS X
        apps behave normally), and the path is still available through cmd-
        click on the title bar.

        Nico
      • jason@eggnet.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 23 9:30 PM
          Nico,

          Thanks for this, it works perfectly. Also found this
          http://webexpose.org/2008/10/13/open-macvim-tabs-from-command-line/
          which helped a lot as well.

          For what it's worth I think it is a large enough usability problem
          that the default behavior should change.

          Thanks,
          -Jason

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 25 11:29 AM
            2009/2/24:
            > On Feb 23, 5:39 pm, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
            >> Hi Jason,
            >>
            >> On Feb 23, 9:52 am, Jason Eggleston <ja...@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> > When using netrw and multiple tabs, the title is very terse, like
            >> > this:
            >>
            >> > s//d//u/l/w/t/t...
            >>
            >> > When editing a file such as this:
            >>
            >> > mvim sftp://dev1//usr/local/www/test/tmp/test.txt
            >>
            >> > How can I fix this?
            >>
            >> try adding `set guitablabel=%t` to your ~/_gvimrc or _vimrc (or enter
            >> `:set guitablabel=%t` while in MacVim). See `:h 'guitablabel'` for
            >> more information.
            >>
            >> This should be in the FAQ. Perhaps we should even change the default
            >> setting? The issue comes up a lot (rightfully, because hat's how OS X
            >> apps behave normally), and the path is still available through cmd-
            >> click on the title bar.
            >
            > Thanks for this, it works perfectly. Also found this
            > http://webexpose.org/2008/10/13/open-macvim-tabs-from-command-line/
            > which helped a lot as well.
            >
            > For what it's worth I think it is a large enough usability problem
            > that the default behavior should change.

            The following combination works well for me:

            " Tab label is filename, tooltip is full path and file name
            set guitablabel=%t
            set guitabtooltip=%F

            I have no objections to adding these lines to MacVim's gvimrc. Does
            anybody object to this change? Any other suggestions?

          • Nico Weber
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 25 2:05 PM
              > The following combination works well for me:
              >
              > " Tab label is filename, tooltip is full path and file name
              > set guitablabel=%t
              > set guitabtooltip=%F
              >
              > I have no objections to adding these lines to MacVim's gvimrc.  Does
              > anybody object to this change?  Any other suggestions?

              I'm not sure about the guitabtooltip line. I can imagine it can be
              annoying, and as cmd-click in the title bar displays the path already,
              it doesn't really add anything (assuming people know about cmd-click,
              and that they can set guitabtooltip on their own if they want).

              Nico
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
                2009/2/25 Nico Weber:

                >> The following combination works well for me:
                >>
                >> " Tab label is filename, tooltip is full path and file name
                >> set guitablabel=%t
                >> set guitabtooltip=%F
                >>
                >> I have no objections to adding these lines to MacVim's gvimrc.  Does
                >> anybody object to this change?  Any other suggestions?
                >
                > I'm not sure about the guitabtooltip line. I can imagine it can be
                > annoying, and as cmd-click in the title bar displays the path already,
                > it doesn't really add anything (assuming people know about cmd-click,
                > and that they can set guitabtooltip on their own if they want).

                Ok, lets try only adding the guitablabel=%t line then.

                Actually, before I do so I'd like some more people to weigh in on this issue.
                Does anybody else want this as the default?
                Does anybody think we should leave things as they are?

                I appreciate any feedback (yes/no answers are good enough for me).

                Thanks,

              • Erik Price
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
                  On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

                  > Ok, lets try only adding the guitablabel=%t line then.
                  >
                  > Actually, before I do so I'd like some more people to weigh in on this issue.
                  > Does anybody else want this as the default?
                  > Does anybody think we should leave things as they are?
                  >
                  > I appreciate any feedback (yes/no answers are good enough for me).

                  +1 for guitablabel=%t

                • Bee
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
                    On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                    > Ok, lets try only adding the guitablabel=%t line then.
                    >
                    > Actually, before I do so I'd like some more people to weigh in on
                    > this issue.
                    > Does anybody else want this as the default?
                    > Does anybody think we should leave things as they are?
                    >
                    > I appreciate any feedback (yes/no answers are good enough for me).

                    +1 guitablabel=%t%m

                    file name tail AND modify flag [+]

                    --
                    Bill
                    Santa Cruz, California

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 15, 2009
                      2009/3/3 Bee:

                      > On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                      >> Ok, lets try only adding the guitablabel=%t line then.
                      >>
                      >> Actually, before I do so I'd like some more people to weigh in on
                      >> this issue.
                      >> Does anybody else want this as the default?
                      >> Does anybody think we should leave things as they are?
                      >>
                      >> I appreciate any feedback (yes/no answers are good enough for me).
                      >
                      > +1 guitablabel=%t%m
                      >
                      > file name tail AND modify flag [+]

                      I settled on "guitablabel=%M%t" to make the labels as short as
                      possible but so you can still see if the file has been modified. The
                      change is in the repo.

                      Thanks for the feedback,