9373Re: Dynamically loading Python library

  • Ben Schmidt
    Nov 2, 2008
      > If Python is dynamically loaded, then people running Python 2.3 on
      > Tiger don't pay any cost until they use :python. I'm inclined to think
      > that most people who want to use :python have Python 2.5 or 2.6
      > installed.

      I'm not so sure about that. I do use :python, but only indirectly, by
      using plugins that use it. As such, if it's good enough for the plugin,
      it's good enough for me, and I won't bother installing a later version
      than the one the OS provides unless something really requires it. I'm
      certainly not going to install one just for the love of Python or of
      being on the cutting edge. And to be honest, I wouldn't be sure that if
      I did install a later one, that would be the one MacVim would find first
      in the path. I suspect there are other users like me. In fact, I suspect
      more people use :python via plugins than use it directly in their own
      scripts or from the commandline.

      None of this actually affects me, as I compile MacVim from source
      myself, linking statically against whatever Python it finds. But I'm
      just pointing out that I expect it would affect others.

      Ben.