860Re: new vim binary for OS X (Jaguar)

    Feb 11, 2003
      Rain Dog wrote:
      > On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 07:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
      >
      >> This is great news! This has been at the top of my bug list for as
      >> long as I have had
      >> a bug list! <hint> http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Bugs </hint>
      >

      > Note that the patch doesn't address the problem of Vim not forking
      > when it is launched from the command line--that is, Vim launched as
      > "/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g" behaves like
      > "/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -fg".

      Maybe I do not understand the problem correctly. In :help
      gui-fork, it says something about running vim in the foreground; maybe I
      read too much into this. It does seem that -gf and -g give the same
      results. Perhaps the question of focus is not related to forking, as I
      thought it was.

      If I run vim in the background, with

      % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g &

      then the Terminal is ready for new commands, and Vim comes into focus,
      which is what I usually want. If I do not run it in the background,

      % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g

      then the terminal waits for Vim to finish. Is this different from not
      forking? More to the point: is there a problem? For example, I have
      not tried calling Vim from a mail program or anything that expects Vim
      to finish before doing more work.

      --Benji Fisher
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic