8309Re: Initial Plugin Architecture patch

    Jul 1, 2008
      Matt,

      I've pushed your patch to the public repo. I did some rearrangement
      to get a nice commit history so please go over it quickly to make sure
      I didn't introduce any errors (I've looked it over too, of course).

      I have two feature requests for you:

      1. Add plugin versioning. Just something simple like
      "<major>.<minor>" where the plugin manager only loads the plugin if
      its major version matches (which would change if the interface
      changes). You can use CFBundleVersion inside each plugin's Info.plist
      for the version number (starting with e.g. 1.0). We're already doing
      something similar in the "Integration pane" of the prefs panel with
      the input manager, if you want to take a look at that. I'm sure you
      know what I mean, but let me know if I'm being vague.

      2. Add plugin preference pane. It would be nice to be able to
      enable/disable plugins by ticking a check-box (it's ok if you have to
      restart for this to take effect).

      I'd say the former is important and the second is not. We need a
      versioning scheme before people start writing plugins or chaos will
      ensue.

    »
    «