6553Re: This message sent to Steve Jobs at Apple

    Mar 1, 2008
      On 29/02/2008, bedney <tpursuit@...> wrote:

      > Folks -
      >
      > I just posted the following email to Steve Jobs over at Apple. We'll
      > see if I get a response. I has happened before.
      >
      > I highly recommend that no one else does this, at least for now. Let's
      > not bombard him with emails. Let's see if this gets some action first:

      > Steve -
      >
      > Bjorn Winckler has been doing a beautiful port of the Unix 'vim'
      > editor to Mac OS X. Many of us developers use it on a daily basis.
      >
      > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
      >
      > This is an all-volunteer effort on his part and its now been halted by
      > the fact that the iBook he was working on has given up the ghost.
      >
      > Considering the ever-growing number of Macs I see at developer's
      > conferences, the Mac has become *the* developer's platform-of-choice.
      > Many of us use vim. I think having a great port of vim to the Mac is
      > essential.
      >
      > A PayPal collection to get him a new Mac is underway, but we're only
      > 1/3 of the way there. Is there a way that Apple could give this guy a
      > new Mac or at least give him a discount on one? We need to get him
      > back to work. He lives in Sweden.
      >
      > His email address is: bjorn.winckler@...
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > - Bill (an old-time NextStepper from the 0.8 days :-) )

      Bill, I appreciate the gesture...whether there is a reply or not.

      Thanks again to everybody who has donated so far. Currently, the
      donations fund covers about 37% of the cost of a MacBook Pro...that's
      a lot more than I ever expected! I've received about 40 donations so
      I am still hoping that a few more donations will trickle in (for
      comparison, the latest snapshot has been downloaded about 3100 times).
      In any case, things are looking very good. :-)

      /Björn