6065Re: Monaco h10 and antialiasing

    Jan 23, 2008
      On 10/12/2007, Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schmidt@...> wrote:

      > Matt Tolton wrote:
      > > It may be that Apple special cases Monaco....I personally think that
      > > Monaco looks better without antialiasing at 10 pt.
      >
      > I would guess that Monaco is one of the few fonts that has a bitmap font
      > installed, so that is simply used, rather than a scalable font going through the
      > rasteriser with or without antialiasing.
      >
      > But didn't somebody say that Monaco was correctly antialiased in some other app?
      > Terminal.app perhaps? My memory is shady.
      >
      > Is there perhaps some option to the rendering API used that allows you to disable
      > the use of bitmap fonts, or force use of scalable/outline fonts, or prefer their
      > use, or something like that? It's just a guess, but I reckon that might fix it, if
      > there is such an option.

      > Actually, a little Googling seems to confirm my theory. This page is a bit of a
      > rant on the topic, though I don't think the author understands the technical
      > details at all:
      >
      > http://daringfireball.net/2003/03/antialiasing
      >
      > And this page is a changeset in response to a ticket where this 'bug' was fixed in
      > some other application.
      >
      > http://trac.clozure.com/openmcl/changeset/7684
      > http://trac.clozure.com/openmcl/ticket/183
      >
      > I have no idea if this is the same rendering engine that MacVim is currently
      > using/will use, but it seems to me that the fix will be related to use or not of
      > 'screen fonts' anyway.
      >
      > And I can see that there would definitely be people in both camps as to whether
      > they would want antialiasing or not. I would suggest having an option to turn
      > antialiasing on or off, and when it's on, also turn off use of screen/bitmap fonts
      > to ensure you truly do always get antialiasing (but use them when antialiasing is
      > off so you still get the nicely hand-crafted bitmaps at small sizes which are much
      > better than what a rasteriser will output).

      I just had a look at this (thanks for the info btw ;-). Disabling
      screen fonts has the effect that fonts always render antialiased (the
      System Preferences are ignored). So whether screen fonts are on or
      off doesn't matter....the System Preferences setting is always ignored
      (at least for Monaco)!

      For the moment I will leave things as they are. When the ATSUI render
      is ready we will be able to let the user enable/disable antialiasing
      (via a Vim option), but with the current renderer it just doesn't seem
      possible.

      /Björn