5530Re: vim-cocoa 0.1 released

  • Tim Allen
    Nov 13 2:42 AM
      On Nov 13, 8:06 pm, "Jun T." <takimot...@...> wrote:
      > BTW, does anybody know whether there are any benefits if an app
      > is "pure Cocoa"? Or is it OK to occasionally use Carbon API in
      > Cocoa apps?

      I recently watched a Google Tech Talk given by the lead programmer of
      VMware Fusion for OS X[1] and while he did talk about VMware Fusion,
      he also spent a good chunk of time complaining that any non-trivial
      Mac application is pretty much required to use at least Carbon and
      Cocoa to work, if not BSD/Mach and kernel hooks as well. A "pure
      Cocoa" app probably has the advantage of not having to deal with three
      or four different file APIs or graphics APIs, but if you can deal with
      the complexity of the code and you need a feature that's only exposed
      via Carbon or BSD, feel free.

      [1] http://blogs.vmware.com/vmtn/2007/10/google-tech-tal.html