483Re: Command-key menu equivalents

    Jan 15, 2002
      raindog@... wrote:
      > On Saturday, January 12, 2002, at 12:19 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:
      > >
      > > raindog@... wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Out of curiosity, does ":menu TeX.run\ tex<Tab><D-t> :call TeX()<CR>"
      > >> work for you (i.e., does it allow you to type Cmd-t to run TeX)?
      > >> Since I applied Dany St-Amant's patch (correctly this time, I think),
      > >> command-key equivalents such as this don't work for me, unless at
      > >> least
      > >> one other modifier key is involved. This one has me stumped.
      > >
      > > I think I see the problem now. Adding "<Tab><D-t>" to the
      > > :menu command does not do anything besides add (right justified)
      > > text to the menu item. You need a :map command as well.
      > It's supposed to do more, actually: gui_mac_doKeyEvent() dispatches each
      > keystroke to the Menu Manager, which responds with the ID of a menu
      > if the
      > key is a registered equivalent for one of that menu's items. In
      > that case,
      > the command associated with the item is executed.
      > This works in some cases:
      > :menu File.Test<Tab><D-S-t> :echo "Test"<CR>
      > causes Cmd-Shift-t to print "Test", but
      > :menu File.Test<Tab><D-t> :echo "Test"<CR>
      > doesn't have the same effect for Cmd-t.

      I would rather not have the menu code define key mappings. Vim scripts
      written for use on OS X should work the same on other OS's, and vice versa.
      Of course, there is the difference that <D-> is not available on other
      systems, but this difference is visible to the person writing the menu in the
      vim script.

      --Benji Fisher
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic