4282Re: Combining diacritics in Vim.app

    Feb 1, 2007
      On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 01:17:34AM -0700, Kenneth Reid Beesley wrote:
      > Newbie question:
      >
      > I have Vim.app installed, version 7.0. on a Tibook running OS X 10.4.8
      > When I launch it by clicking Vim.app, or using the 'gvim'
      > command from xterm, I can insert Roman text without
      > difficulty, but combining diacritics are not displayed properly
      >
      > E.g. if I type an 'e' followed by
      >
      > Ctrl-V u0300
      >
      > I should see an 'e' with a grave accent rendered over it.
      >
      > (0300 is the combining grave accent) the character 0300 is
      > inserted in the buffer, and I can write the file and verify that the
      > diacritic is indeed there, but it doesn't display in the vim window.
      >
      > How can I make such combining diacritics display properly in gvim?
      >
      > ***********************************
      >
      > I also installed a plain vim, with +multibyte +huge, version 7.0.178
      > Running inside an xterm, this version _does_ display combining
      > diacritics properly.
      >
      > Any advice would be appreciated.
      >
      > Ken

      I am afraid that this is one of the things that just does not work
      with the current font-rendering code. Watch this list for updates.

      Possibly helpful information:

      You can check the character under the cursor with the g8 command.
      :help g8

      You can run vim (not gvim) inside a Terminal.app window, and the
      combining diacritics display properly. At least, the example you gave
      looks right to me. This may depend on the font settings for
      Terminal.app. See FAQ #8 for running vim in a terminal window:
      http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#FAQ

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic