4183Re: open from command line

  • Michael Sommerville
    Oct 4, 2006
      On 10/4/06, Christian Bird <cabird@...> wrote:
      > I've been searching the web to find a way to do this, but I can't. If
      > I have gvim running in a window in my desktop, is there any way to
      > have it open another text file (in a new buffer, tab, whatever, but
      > not a new window) from the command line?
      > I'd like to do:
      > gvim foo.txt
      > and have it open an initial gvim app (which it does now) and then do:
      > gvim bar.txt
      > and have it open it in another tab or another buffer, but not open
      > another window. The help mentions the existence of clientserver mode
      > and the --remote options, but I can't get those to be built into the
      > executable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

      I hacked around with this a while back (6.3). Dragging from finder
      does this if you hold the shift key when dropping into the editor. I
      haven't looked at the current sources, so this may have changed
      somewhat. I did the following:

      gui_mac.c: change handle_drop() so that the last arg is TRUE which
      forces the window to split for the new file.

      From the command line:

      open -a <path/to/bundle>/Vim.app <file>

      I haven't tested this much but it works for me.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic