336Re: new developer, longtime user

    Oct 23, 2001
      Gregory Seidman wrote:

      > Hey there. I'm trying to get ramped up on the vim codebase so I can achieve
      > the following goals:
      >
      > 1) a frontend for OpenStep/GNUstep/MacOS X, comparable to the Motif and GTK
      > frontends

      Now that there is a version of OS X that seems to work (for me) I would
      like to see a GUI vim for it. (If only my poor old NeXT had lived to see
      this!)

      > 2) supporting multiple frontends conveniently (this may be a build issue,
      > actually, but I'd like to be able to run 'gvim' under MacOS X and if
      > DISPLAY is defined it would use an X11 frontend and otherwise it would
      > use the Aqua frontend I want to build)

      I am not planning to run X on X (sorry) but I can see that this would be
      handy for those who do.

      > 3) support for what emacs calls multiple "frames" and what I would call
      > multiple windows except "windows" already means something else

      This has been suggested before. There are problems with it, starting
      with the problem of making it portable. The change in paradigm may be an even
      more serious problem. I do not think you will get much support with this, at
      least not from Bram.

      > 4) minor IPC features, mainly the option to deiconize and raise an
      > existing session when attempting to run vim on a file that is already
      > open in a running vim (this is more complicated than it sounds,
      > especially under X11)

      You can learn more than I know (if you have not already done so) by
      reading

      :help client-server

      > I don't know when I'll find the time to do all these things. I'd like to
      > know now, however, whether anyone is interested in these features and
      > whether any work has begun on any of them.

      I have almost never looked at vim's code, so I cannot offer much help,
      but I hope the comments are a little useful.

      > I hope it is acceptable to have sent this to both the main dev list and the
      > mac dev list, but since 1 and 2 are relevant to both it seemed appropriate.

      No problem for me: my mail filters are dumb enough that both copies went
      to the vim-dev folder, where they were put under the same thread.

      --Benji Fisher
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic