1726Re: Home / End keys on iBook

  • Stephen Riehm
    Mar 18, 2004
      > http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=206161

      UTF-8:
      works nicely as long as "wide glyphs count as two columns" is turned
      OFF :-)
      Try using something simple like cat to read a file (just to test) - if
      the UTF-8 character are still screwed up your file may not be encoded
      correctly. As for UTF-8 in vim on a mac, I'd desperately like to know
      how that works myself! Since the fonts on a mac are all Mac-Roman, we
      really need a utf-8 <-> mac-roman setting in vim - something I haven't
      been able to find yet :-(

      Shell lines not wrapping:
      that's a common problem with bash and ksh :-) Try setting your login
      shell to tcsh (which WAS the OS-X default till apple gave in to the
      unwashed masses who don't know the difference between a shell as a
      command line interface and a shell as a programming language). Tcsh is
      different to use, but I find it much more comfortable than anything
      else. Just don't write programs in tcsh - use ksh, bash or preferably a
      real scripting language like perl or python for programming tasks (or
      go straight to C++/Java)

      Just my 2c :-)
      Good luck!

      Steve