157Practical development of Mac vim

  • Ben Fowler
    Jan 31, 2001
      It would be nice to report that Santa Claus, the famous gentleman
      from Turkey brought me a copy of CodeWarrior 6
      < URL:http://www.metrowerks.com/ > (new series), but
      this would not be at all true; I was however able to use CW 6
      for a few days over the Christmas break & have taken the opportunity to
      make my own executable of Mac vim.

      This was the fruit of the file, os_mac.c, that Axel Kielhorn
      < URL:http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~i0080108/macvim.html >
      kindly sent me, though it might be worth
      noting that the file of that name in the main distribution is virtually
      (if not absolutely) identical.

      I am bursting to ask several questions:

      1. How many people actually possess the vis, vim or vigor
      < URL:http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?db=*&term=vim > to
      compile either a 68k or PPC executable for themselves?

      It may as few as 3 or 4; in which case it might be considered
      helpful if I wrote up what I had to do create my edition. Let me stress
      that it was a little time consuming, but quite straightforward. The only
      problems in the main sources were that I found that in some places
      vim uses unsigned chars for C strings where I expected plain chars,
      exempli gratia: char *getenv(const char *name); and one of the files
      needed an extra header for something trivial like chdir (probably fixable
      with a minor edit to os_mac.h or vim.h).

      2. I am have difficulty with Mac line endings in that some files which
      the standard executable can read, mine cannot. For this reason alone,
      I am reluctant to post my work, as it might be confusing.

      3. What objectives on the to do list achievable for the non expert as
      I am? Here are some possibilities:

      a) Fix up an MPW makefile to avoid the dependence on CodeWarrior
      b) Establish a 'prefs' file (which should contain a pointer to the
      runtime folder, allowing the runtime folder, or pouch, to be placed
      anywhere on the system
      c) Double clicking on a prefs or settings file should act as 'vim -u'
      and byp[ass other initialisation.
      d) I think that adopting Powerplant (proprietary)
      < URL:http://www.metrowerks.com/desktop/mactools/powerplant/ >
      would be a strange move,
      but there might be some purpose in using WASTE
      < URL:http://www.metrowerks.com/desktop/mactools/powerplant/ >.
      e) We could have a scheme for running plugins such as BBEdit
      plugins < URL:http://www.barebones.com/support/bbedit/bbedit-plugins.html >
      or (much more work?) MPW tools,
      < URL:http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/books.html#ToolServer > but perhaps also
      useful...
      f) See whether Mindvision < URL:http://www.mindvision.com/pricing/shareware.asp >
      would let us use Installer Vise, as is the case
      with MacPerl, < URL:http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/books.html#ToolServer >
      another open source cross platform project that
      predates Linux.

      4. I have copied the vim 6.0t sources into my Mac tree, and the
      project compiles, IIRC, without a hitch; but it does not run smoothly
      because it appears not to grok the explorer.vim plugin, but the
      error messages (basically that a backslash was found where it was not
      allowed does not appear to be Mac specific.

      5. Is there anyone using MacVIm for serious work willing to
      comment on how we are getting on?

      Please don't think I am being ungrateful, asking for more and more
      information. Effectively I would like to know what I should be doing next,
      and what you would like to see from me.

      Ben.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic