14215Re: Visual block insert problem when using left arrow in the insert mode.

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Aug 16, 2014
      Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > On So, 10 Aug 2014, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >
      > > Aleksandar Ivanov wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi, I have a weird problem which I have no idea how to debug. I am using version 7.4.398
      > > >
      > > > Let's say that I have a file with such content:
      > > >
      > > > aaaaaaaaaaaa
      > > > bbbbbbbbbbb
      > > > ccccccccccccc
      > > >
      > > > Then I am selecting the start of the three lines in visual block and
      > > > starting to insert
      > > >
      > > > ^ C-v jj I
      > > >
      > > > I insert '<' then '>' then click the left arrow and insert 'p' then I
      > > > press esc. The result I got is
      >
      > You were using the mouse to move the cursor?

      > > > bp>abbbbbbbbbb
      > > > cp>acccccccccccc
      > > >
      > > > I could use only letters and it brakes again. That is 'a' then 'b'
      > > > then left arrow then 'c'.
      > > > If I write it in one go '<' then 'p' then '>', it works correctly. So
      > > > it should be something with the left arrow key.
      > > >
      > > Christian Brabandt tried to make this work, e.g. with patch 7.4.085.
      > > Apparently there still is a situation where the start of the insert
      > > isn't remembered properly.
      >
      > I think, I have fixed the issue. The problem is, that the determination
      > of where insert mode originally starts is a little bit complex. That's
      > what I called "fragile" when I originally posted patch 7.4.085.
      > Please try the attached patch.
      >
      > That should stop Vim from marking the position after using the arrow
      > keys as where insertion started originally.

      Unfortunately that breaks another case, test39 fails.
      Shows why these tests are useful!

      I tweaked the solution a bit. There probably is another situation where
      it still fails...

      --
      Tips for aliens in New York: Land anywhere. Central Park, anywhere.
      No one will care or indeed even notice.