14172Re: Script errors happening only when MacVim is started via app bundle

  • Martin Kopischke
    Apr 23 3:03 PM
      Am Mittwoch, 23. April 2014 22:06:55 UTC+2 schrieb björn:
      > On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 8:29 PM, Martin Kopischke wrote:
      >
      > > [preemptive apologies if this a double posting: I would have sworn I have posted this before, but the message never displayed in my browser]
      >

      > > While playing around with my plugin configuration, I today had both Unite.vim's file source, when set to use the selecta sorter, and NeoBundle's Unite based vim script search function spew script errors (about using Float as string in deeply nested functions) at me. The reason I post this here is that, after searching for the cause by disabling all my rc config and plugins, I finally realized the error _only_ happens when MacVim is launched via the app bundle. OTOH, when launching MacVim from the terminal (via mvim or /path/to/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g), the same commands work fine, without any errors.
      >

      > > Changing other parameters (bypassing vimrc and gvimrc, disabling all or selected plugins, using maps vs. direct commands) does not affect the outcome one iota. Also, there are no console logs, and the plugins use different scripting the interfaces (the selecta sorter uses ruby, NeoBundle is VimL all the way). The only factor I can pinpoint is start by OS X bundle handling via start from the shell, and the only difference I can find that makes is process ownership:
      >

      > > 1. when started via app bundle, MacVim owns Vim (and is owned by launchd): errors occur
      >
      > > 2. when started via terminal, Vim owns MacVim (and is owned by launchd): no errors occur
      >

      > > Running MacVim snapshot 73 (Vim 7.4.258) on OS X 10.9.2
      >

      > Have you by any chance got two (or more) MacVim.app on your hard
      >
      > drive? Search in Spotlight for "MacVim.app" and delete all but one
      >
      > (and make sure it is in /Applications).
      >

      > Björn

      Björn,

      following up on your question about multiple instances of MacVim.app and their location on disk, I just tried out what happens when I launch the Homebrew Cellar MacVim.app directly, without moving it to /Applications:

      1. launching via Finder double-click: MacVim owns Vim process, displays errors;
      2. launching via `open /path/to/MacVim.app` in terminal: MacVim owns Vim process, _no errors_.

      So it seems that process ownership doesn't make a difference, but the GUI launch process by and in itself does. Gah.