14114Re: Highlight non ascii characters

  • Niklas Lindström
    Jan 26, 2014
      Hello,

      On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 11:11 PM, Peter Nguyen <peter.nguyen1802@...> wrote:
      Den lördagen den 25:e januari 2014 kl. 22:37:22 UTC+1 skrev Niklas Lindström:
      > Hi Peter,
      >
      > On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 5:13 AM, Peter Nguyen <peter.ng...@...> wrote:
      >
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have a twig (PHP HTML template) file with several non ascii characters at different places. I can do a search with:
      >
      > /[\x7f-\xff]/
      >
      > and it will match them. But when I try to add these commands to my .vimrc file for highlighting them, it does not work:
      >
      > " Find non ASCII chars and highlight them
      >
      > syn match nonascii "[\x7f-\xff]"
      >
      > hi nonascii guibg=Red ctermbg=2
      >
      > Anyone who knows what I'm doing wrong?
      >
      > Declaring syntax rules in the .vimrc will not work, since the syntax will be cleared during vim startup (or something to that effect).
      >
      > For your case, you can either add something like this to your .vimrc:
      >
      >     match ErrorMsg "[\x7f-\xff]"
      >
      > Or add your original commands to a file called ~/.vim/after/syntax/php.vim in your home directory (create it and any needed parent directories if they don't already exist). The "after" folder is a nice way to customize things locally according to your needs. That file specifically will extend the php syntax for you.
      >
      > See also e.g. <http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Highlight_unwanted_spaces>.
      >
      > H.T.H.
      > Cheers,
      > Niklas
      >
      > --
      >
      > --

      > ---

      Hi Niklas,

      thanks for your answer. The match ErrorMsg "[\x7f-\xff]" works but only on the current file (.vimrc) after I source it. If I check the other file (twig) it didn't highlight the non-ascii characters. I haven't tried your suggestion with the "after" folder yet because I would want that non-ascii characters to be highlighted in all files, not just for php syntax. Is it possible?

      Oh, right. It seems you need to trigger this for each window, so you can do either:

          au BufWinEnter * match ErrorMsg "[\x7f-\xff]"

      Or perhaps better (to play nicer with other things adding matches):

          au BufWinEnter * let w:matchnonascii=matchadd('ErrorMsg', "[\x7f-\xff]", -1)

      See e.g. <http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip810> for details. (Or :help :match / :help matchadd())

      Cheers,
      Niklas