14113Re: Highlight non ascii characters

  • Peter Nguyen
    Jan 25, 2014
      Den lördagen den 25:e januari 2014 kl. 22:37:22 UTC+1 skrev Niklas Lindström:
      > Hi Peter,
      >

      > On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 5:13 AM, Peter Nguyen <peter.ng...@...> wrote:
      >

      > Hi,
      >

      > I have a twig (PHP HTML template) file with several non ascii characters at different places. I can do a search with:
      >

      > /[\x7f-\xff]/
      >

      > and it will match them. But when I try to add these commands to my .vimrc file for highlighting them, it does not work:
      >

      > " Find non ASCII chars and highlight them
      >
      > syn match nonascii "[\x7f-\xff]"
      >
      > hi nonascii guibg=Red ctermbg=2
      >

      > Anyone who knows what I'm doing wrong?
      >

      > Declaring syntax rules in the .vimrc will not work, since the syntax will be cleared during vim startup (or something to that effect).
      >

      > For your case, you can either add something like this to your .vimrc:
      >

      >     match ErrorMsg "[\x7f-\xff]"
      >

      > Or add your original commands to a file called ~/.vim/after/syntax/php.vim in your home directory (create it and any needed parent directories if they don't already exist). The "after" folder is a nice way to customize things locally according to your needs. That file specifically will extend the php syntax for you.
      >

      > See also e.g. <http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Highlight_unwanted_spaces>.
      >
      > H.T.H.
      > Cheers,
      > Niklas
      >

      > --
      >
      > --

      > ---

      Hi Niklas,

      thanks for your answer. The match ErrorMsg "[\x7f-\xff]" works but only on the current file (.vimrc) after I source it. If I check the other file (twig) it didn't highlight the non-ascii characters. I haven't tried your suggestion with the "after" folder yet because I would want that non-ascii characters to be highlighted in all files, not just for php syntax. Is it possible?