13915Re: how to prevent cmd+Q when multiple splits are open?

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Sep 11, 2013
      On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:18:55 PM UTC+2, leob wrote:
      > Hello all,
      >
      > Is there a way of preventing cmd+Q from closing when there are more than one buffer open via splits? Note that i'm not asking about tab's.
      >
      > Thanks in advance
      >
      > Leo

      I'm not on the Mac so (part of) what I'm saying below might not apply to you.

      AFAIK, Ctrl-Q (on Linux and Windows, at least, where ther'e is no Cmd key) closes nothing; it is an alternative to Ctrl-V (which, in Normal mode, starts block-visual, and, in Insert-mode, start "literal" character insertion.

      The command to close a split-window is normally :q (but it also closes the current tab if there is only one window in it, and the whole of Vim -hidden unsaved buffers mermitting- if there are no nonhelp windows apart from the current one). You could also use :close (q.v.) which will never quit Vim.

      Is there a mapping for Cmd-Q on your installation on Vim? Try

      :verbose map <D-Q>
      :verbose map! <D-Q>

      (both with and without the exclamation mark).

      Or if you are on MacVim there might be something of which I'm totally unaware in the MacVim customizations (the sources added to plain-vanilla Vim to give it a non-X11 GUI on the Mac).

      Best regards,
      Tony.
      --
      He keeps differentiating, flying off on a tangent.