13831MacVim forces last pattern search using vim flags

  • anilg
    Jul 18, 2013
      I've got a problem with MacVim that I'm hoping can be fixed.
      I find that MacVim forces certain flags to be used which are mostly inconvenient.

      When using /usr/local/bin/mvim to start MacVim directly from the command line benign flags are used and can be adjusted in mvim anyway:

      $ ps aux | grep vim
      /usr/bin/grep -i vim
      /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -MMNoWindow yes
      /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -f -g test.txt

      When double clicking a text file in the Mac Finder MacVim uses two flags which force particular behaviour.

      The '-o' flag is supposed to open multiple files in separate windows.
      I don't want this behaviour as I prefer splits, but actual behaviour varies for unknown reasons.

      The '+/' initates a search on the last pattern used.
      This is consistent but again elicts unwanted behaviour.

      When the last pattern matches the file comes up highlighted due to my settings.
      I have to type :nohl to view the file properly.
      Often this is the entire text that is highlighted in red.

      When the pattern does not match it still causes a problem.
      Vim responds "error detected" and "pattern not found".
      This requires a confirmation every time before I start editing.

      $ ps aux | grep vim
      /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -psn_0_3105526
      /usr/bin/grep -i vim
      /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -f +/ -o /Volumes/Data/Users/user/Desktop/test.txt

      See the plus slash "+/" and the option "-o"? That's the culprits right there!

      Most of the time I'm editing a different file. Last pattern search is unwanted and unlikely to match. When can I edit out these flags?