13781Re: make distclean fails to remove src/config.cache

  • dv1445@...
    Jun 20, 2013
      On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 09:27:17PM +0200, björn wrote:
      > On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM, wrote:
      > >>
      > >> That is to say, *if* it is easy to do so, then the relevant scripts
      > >> ought to be changed so that blah blah.
      > >>
      > >> (Or perhaps 'make distclean' can be patched to also obliterate any
      > >> existing src/config.cache)
      > >>
      > >> If it isn't an easy thing, just forget it. I can deal with it.
      > >
      > > Hi Björn,
      > >
      > > Although I discovered how to trigger the issue, I don't know what causes
      > > it. I don't know enough about makefiles or confiure scripts to wade
      > > through the difference between those of MacVim and those of BramVim. So
      > > I propose modifying, in MacVim, src/Makefile according the the below
      > > diff.
      > >
      > > The line two lines above my added one is doing almost nothing at all,
      > > because the files auto/config.{status,log,cache} are never created by
      > > MacVim as far as I can see:
      > >
      > > ** If I call './configure -C', they get put in src/, which is what
      > > generated this bug-reporting thread.
      > >
      > > ** If on the other hand I call plain './configure', then no caches are
      > > created, so there's nothing for that line of the Makefile to destroy.
      > >
      > > ** If I call './configure --cache-file=src/auto/config.cache (which
      > > './configure --help tells me is kosher), then no config.cache is put
      > > *anywhere*, and config.{log,status} are put straight into src/ where
      > > the latter won't get wiped out by 'make distclean'.
      > >
      > > Therefore I propose leaving that line in place (since it's doing no
      > > harm), but adding one that allows 'make distclean' to destroy
      > > 'src/config.{cache,log,status}'. I tested this locally and it seems to
      > > work. Thus 'make distclean' will destroy the things it's supposed to
      > > destroy.
      >
      > I think it would be better to figure out why there is a difference
      > instead of blindly patching. I don't know what causes it though, so I
      > can't help.

      Hi Björn,

      I think I've found out why MacVim is putting config.cache (et. al.) in
      the "wrong" place (which is itself why 'make distclean' isn't seeking
      and destroying those files).

      Could it be because MacVim has TWO 'configure' files of substance, while
      BramVim only has one?

      In MacVim repo:
      'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
      'src/configure' is "meaty".
      'src/auto/configure' is even meatier (by ~175KB!!).

      In BramVim repo:
      'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
      'src/configure' is a slightly larger wrapper.
      'src/auto/configure' is meaty, about as meaty as 'src/configure' from
      MacVim.

      If, in MacVim, the meaty config script that's governing cachefile
      placement is the one sitting in /src, then that would explain why it's
      dropping config.cache right in /src (look at its line 914, see a
      relative path).

      In BramVim, the only meaty config script is in 'src/auto', so the
      corresponding line would dump config.cache in src/auto, right?

      Of further interest: BramVim's 'src/configure' appears to be calling
      'src/auto/configure' with an explicit request that config.cache be left
      in 'src/auto'.

      If I am right that this is what's causing MacVim to put the files in a
      different place from BramVim, it seems to me that either:

      (a) one of MacVim's two meaty configure scripts (or both??) should be
      made to drop config.cache (and .log, and .status) in 'src/auto', and to
      know that that's where to read cached info from.

      Or,

      (b) the Makefile's 'make distclean' should be tweaked to find those
      files in their current location ('src/'). Of course, this needn't be
      done in exactly the way I proposed earlier.

      BTW, MacVim's 'src/configure' appears to correspond to BramVim's
      'src/auto/configure'. There are many differences, but they seem to be
      almost all tiny differences. Also, MacVim's 'src/auto/configure'
      appears to be older than 'src/configure'.

      -gmn