13698Re: 7.3.967 fails on Tiger PPC due to Python problem

  • Bram Moolenaar
    May 24 9:59 AM
      Björn Winckler wrote:

      > On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> wrote:

      > > 7.3.969) built fine. Just a point of comparison.

      > > plugins.
      > > >
      > > > The best I can do is to point you towards a zipped archive of the source
      > > code for 7.3.806, which comes from Björn's repo:
      > > https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/archive/1ba220ad3da69e3607a7e36b97c66e43bca68790.zip
      > > .
      > > >
      > > > I discovered (reported in an earlier post) that it's patch 7.3.965 that
      > > introduces what the build process's error messages claim to be the
      > > offending lines. It seems really weird that BramVim would build without
      > > problem while MacVim would choke.
      > >
      > > Many thanks for that.
      > >
      > > It may be worth your while asking Bram on vim_use about this. Although,
      > > saying that, he may have his hands full vim of Vim 7.4 at the moment.
      > >

      > I had a look and there are two issues:
      >
      > 1. Py_VISIT was introduced in Python v2.4, perhaps Mac OS X Tiger is
      > including an older Python version (otherwise I don't know why the linker
      > would fail)

      if_python.c contains:

      #ifndef Py_VISIT
      # define Py_VISIT(obj) visit(obj, arg)
      #endif

      Why doesn't that work?

      > 2. The "suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous ‘else’" warning is
      > because of code like "if (cond) Py_DECREF(...)" and Py_DECREF() is a macro
      > which expands to "if (..) ... else ...". So the code will work as intended
      > by there is a warning.

      I'll add a patch for that.

      > So, #1 is the only serious problem. I guess Vim no longer supports older
      > versions of Python. I'm not sure what the policy on being backwards
      > compatible with older Python versions is.

      We try to support Python 2.2. Should work.

      --
      CRONE: Who sent you?
      ARTHUR: The Knights Who Say GNU!