13696Re: 7.3.967 fails on Tiger PPC due to Python problem

    May 24, 2013
      On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> wrote:
      On 23/05/2013 04:53, dv1445@... wrote:

      > Phil Dobbin, on 05/23/13 at 01:50:52 +0100, wrote:

      >>> I forgot to mention that on Tiger PPC, BramVim 7.3.967 (and indeed 7.3.969) built fine.  Just a point of comparison.
      >>
      >> I apologise for not being to help with your dilemma but I've just
      >> acquired a couple of legacy G4 PowerMacs running 10.4.11 & if there is a
      >> link to a tarball of 7.3.806 available, I would greatly appreciate
      >> having it. Snapshot 55's Python is unable to cope with a lot of my plugins.
      >
      > The best I can do is to point you towards a zipped archive of the source code for 7.3.806, which comes from Björn's repo: https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/archive/1ba220ad3da69e3607a7e36b97c66e43bca68790.zip.
      >
      > I discovered (reported in an earlier post) that it's patch 7.3.965 that introduces what the build process's error messages claim to be the offending lines.  It seems really weird that BramVim would build without problem while MacVim would choke.

      Many thanks for that.

      It may be worth your while asking Bram on vim_use about this. Although,
      saying that, he may have his hands full vim of Vim 7.4 at the moment.

      I had a look and there are two issues:

      1. Py_VISIT was introduced in Python v2.4, perhaps Mac OS X Tiger is including an older Python version (otherwise I don't know why the linker would fail)

      2. The "suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous ‘else’" warning is because of code like "if (cond) Py_DECREF(...)" and Py_DECREF() is a macro which expands to "if (..) ... else ...".  So the code will work as intended by there is a warning.

      So, #1 is the only serious problem.  I guess Vim no longer supports older versions of Python.  I'm not sure what the policy on being backwards compatible with older Python versions is.