13606Re: Syntax highlighting for .profile

  • Tim Johnson
    Feb 26, 2013
      * Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> [130226 08:37]:
      > Tim Johnson wrote:
      > >* Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> [130226 07:10]:

      > >>I use:
      > >>
      > >>'au BufRead,BufNewFile {*.cfg,*.profile,*.log} set ft=syslog'
      > >>
      > >>in my vimrc. syslog.vim is a syntax plugin available from the scripts
      > >>page on: <www.vim.org>
      > > Thanks for the replies. I have followed both suggestions, and
      > > neither worked, even as I could see ft change to syslog or bash.
      > > But I noted that from /etc/bashrc ft is set to 'sh' with syntax
      > > highlight operating, so :
      > >
      > > au BufRead,BufNewFile {*.cfg,*.profile,*.log} set ft=sh
      > >
      > > Gives me syntax highlighting
      > > Thanks again
      > > cheers
      > syn on
      > should have enabled syntax highlighting for .profile (with ft == sh).
      > Does this not work?

      Yes, as I have indicated above, autocommand with ft=sh gives me
      syntax highlighting.

      > Since you indicated .bashrc, etc; I'm guessing that you're using bash
      > for your .profile, so you should also put
      > let g:is_bash= 1
      That's a good tip, thanks, but if I change
      au BufRead,BufNewFile {*.cfg,*.profile,*.log} set ft=sh
      " where syntax higlighting works
      au BufRead,BufNewFile {*.cfg,*.profile,*.log} set ft=bash

      I now _do not_ have highlighting

      regardless of the order in which
      let g:is_bash= 1
      comes in respect to the autocommand.

      So..... setting ft to 'sh' works, and that works for me.

      Why setting ft to 'bash' does not work is a mystery to this
      eternal vim noob, but what I have now is sufficient.
      thanks again
      --
      Tim
      http://www.akwebsoft.com