13491Re: Is it normal for a Vim to be started when I start MacVim?

  • Eric Weir
    Nov 18, 2012
      On Nov 16, 2012, at 1:05 PM, dv1445@... wrote:

      > björn wrote on 11/16/12 at 16:09:40 +0100:
      >>
      >> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
      >>>
      >>> That's my question.
      >>
      >> It is very difficult to provide an intelligent answer if you don't
      >> explain your problem a bit more. All I can say now is that MacVim
      >> *is* Vim so yes, it is normal for Vim to start when you start MacVim
      >> since they are the same thing.
      >>
      >> What do you really want to know?
      >
      > I'm guessing that he wants to know if it is normal for a process called
      > 'Vim' to show up in Activity Monitor.app whenever he launches
      > MacVim.app. Or that he wants to know something basically equivalent to
      > that.
      >
      > The answer is yes. In fact, it is normal (in the sense of "this is how
      > it does work and is how it is supposed to work") for there to be *many*
      > 'Vim' processes to be running while only one "MacVim" appears in
      > Activity Monitor.app---if you hit Cmd-N in MacVim a few times, for
      > example.

      First, thanks to both of you for responding. And apologies for taking so long in responding.

      Yes, gmn, that was my question. My guess, by the time I posted, was that the answer was, yes, but I wanted to double-check.

      My reason for asking? I was experiencing problems with the Sessions plugin that I've experienced in the past: Getting "swap file already exists" messages when the plugin attempted to load the files in my default session. In attempting to remedy the problem I got a message at one point to the effect that my "default session could not be loaded because it is in use by another instance of Vim." That was when I went to Activity Monitor and noticed the Vim process running with the MacVim process.

      When I managed to get the problem solved---don't ask me how; I believe it was by deleting the "default.vim.lock" file created by the Session plugin when a saved session is opened, but I don't recall for certain---I noticed that there was still a Vim process running along with the MacVim process. At that point I assumed it was normal, but wanted to check.

      Another thing that was puzzling was that after I got the "session couldn't be opened because it is in use by another instance of Vim" message I noticed that there was still only one Vim process running in addition to MacVim, not a second as I expected assuming the first was normal. If there was another instance of Vim, why wasn't it showing up in Activity Monitor?

      All just matters of curiosity now. I haven't hadn't any "swap file already exists" messages since fixing the problem right before I posted my question here.

      Thanks again,
      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA
      eeweir@...

      "What does it mean...that the world is so beautiful?"

      - Mary Oliver