13344Re: --enable-darwin and Python

  • gmn
    Aug 5, 2012
      Ben Schmidt, on 08/06/12 at 00:28:58 +1000, wrote:
      > On 5/08/12 7:13 AM, gmn wrote:
      > >I'm sending this here rather than to vim_use because it's a Mac-specific
      > >problem, even though it's about the official console vim from Bram's hg repo
      > >(aka "BramVim").
      > >
      > >A short while ago, I discovered I had been calling --disable-darwin for the
      > >configuring of BramVim. I'd been doing this for years, disguised 'neath a
      > >bash alias. I couldn't recall why I was doing something so apparently dumb.
      > >
      > >Well, I discovered why, I think.
      > >
      > >If I don't --disable-darwin, then building vim chokes on enabling the python
      > >interpreter:
      > >
      > >objects/if_python.o objects/os_macosx.o objects/os_mac_conv.o objects/main.o objects/memfile.o -lm -lncurses -liconv -lintl -framework Cocoa -framework Python
      > >Undefined symbols:
      > > "__PyObject_NextNotImplemented", referenced from:
      > > __PyObject_NextNotImplemented$non_lazy_ptr in if_python.o
      > > "_PyCapsule_GetPointer", referenced from:
      > > _convert_dl in if_python.o
      > > "_PyCapsule_New", referenced from:
      > > _convert_dl in if_python.o
      > >ld: symbol(s) not found
      > >collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
      > >make[1]: *** [vim] Error 1
      > >make: *** [first] Error 2
      > Hmm. Strange. I've never had any problem building (Mac)Vim against
      > Python, and I certainly don't use --disable-darwin. I suspect I've
      > always been building against a Python from MacPorts, though.
      > >If I do --disable-darwin, I get python support just fine.
      > Interesting.
      > >It should be known that:
      > >0. This is on both Tiger and Leopard. There's no problem on 10.7 or even 10.8
      > I guess I'll have to fire up an older machine to see if I can
      > investigate this further at all. I should be able to do that if I need
      > to.

      I forgot to mention that the problem also occurs on Snow Leopard. So
      it's not a PPC/Intel issue (my Tiger and Leopard machines are PPC).

      > >1. My $PYTHONPATH is set to /usr/local/gmnpyth, which is where python 2.7.3
      > >lives.
      > How did it get there?

      I put it there---not just the variable, but python itself. Why?
      Because I wanted python 2.7.x on a Tiger machine and a Leopard machine,
      both of which come with outdated pythons. Why did I put a new python
      *there*? Because it's easier for me to obliterate and troubleshoot,
      rather than futzing around with frameworks and such.

      (Because I don't understand any of this stuff, I try to plan escape
      routes in advance and try not to move system stuff).

      Note that when I build python 2.7.x from source, I *don't* do
      --enable-framework. I *do* remember to set

      > >2. Even on Tiger and Leopard, building *MacVim* with the same $PYTHONPATH and
      > >--enable-pythoninterp works just fine.
      > Also interesting. I wonder if there's a patch in MacVim that should be
      > 'pushed upstream' or moved outside a preprocessor conditional or
      > something.
      > When you attempt to build BramVim, are you doing it using the MacVim
      > sources, but disabling the GUI, or with sources directly from Bram. Can
      > you try it both ways and see if there is any difference?

      BramVim, by definition, is the sources directly from Bram's hg repo. I
      have never tried building Vim from Björn's git repo with a --disable-gui
      flag; I will do so now.