13340--enable-darwin and Python

  • gmn
    Aug 4, 2012
      I'm sending this here rather than to vim_use because it's a Mac-specific
      problem, even though it's about the official console vim from Bram's hg repo
      (aka "BramVim").

      A short while ago, I discovered I had been calling --disable-darwin for the
      configuring of BramVim. I'd been doing this for years, disguised 'neath a
      bash alias. I couldn't recall why I was doing something so apparently dumb.

      Well, I discovered why, I think.

      If I don't --disable-darwin, then building vim chokes on enabling the python

      objects/if_python.o objects/os_macosx.o objects/os_mac_conv.o objects/main.o objects/memfile.o -lm -lncurses -liconv -lintl -framework Cocoa -framework Python
      Undefined symbols:
      "__PyObject_NextNotImplemented", referenced from:
      __PyObject_NextNotImplemented$non_lazy_ptr in if_python.o
      "_PyCapsule_GetPointer", referenced from:
      _convert_dl in if_python.o
      "_PyCapsule_New", referenced from:
      _convert_dl in if_python.o
      ld: symbol(s) not found
      collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
      make[1]: *** [vim] Error 1
      make: *** [first] Error 2

      If I do --disable-darwin, I get python support just fine.

      It should be known that:
      0. This is on both Tiger and Leopard. There's no problem on 10.7 or even 10.8
      1. My $PYTHONPATH is set to /usr/local/gmnpyth, which is where python 2.7.3
      2. Even on Tiger and Leopard, building *MacVim* with the same $PYTHONPATH and
      --enable-pythoninterp works just fine.
      3. The culprit is not any of the recent patches to vim dealing with python
      compilation problems (surprisingly).
      4. It took a while to show up after I stopped using --disable-darwin because I
      hadn't obliterated the build caches inside my clone of the hg repo in a long
      time. Once I did so, pow!