13330Re: Two green diamonds in the dock

    Jul 30, 2012
      On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Ben Schmidt wrote:

      >> 2012-07-19 11:21:53.432 MacVim[66493:10b] *** CFMessagePort:
      >> bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port =
      >> 0x3803, name = 'org.vim.MacVim.ServiceProvider'
      >> See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.
      >
      > Since your error is 'permission denied', though, my first step would be
      > to check the ownership and permissions of MacVim.app and its contents.
      > And then maybe try 'repair permissions' in Disk Utility in case it's a
      > system file that has had permissionsed messed up by something.

      This is not a file permission issue.

      MacVim registers a named bootstrap server so that Vim processes can
      connect to the GUI. The above error message is saying that the name
      that MacVim is trying to register is already taken and so it fails.
      This means two MacVim processes are trying to run at the same time
      which is why I previously suspected that the OP had two versions of
      MacVim.app on their computer.

      I don't know what would cause Mac OS X to try and start two instances
      of the same app. My best guess is that this is a timing-related issue
      since it is so hard to reproduce (by which I mean that I have never
      been able to reproduce it).