13319Two green diamonds in the dock

  • dv1445@wayne.edu
    Jul 19, 2012
      I don't know if this is a bug, or even if it is, whether it's a bug in MacVim,
      but it is of interest. To reproduce:

      0. Have MacVim as an open app (there needn't be a window actually open).

      1. Pick one of the following:

      (1a) Set mutt up to use the Vim inside MacVim, i.e., MacVim-but-in-the-console,
      as $editor for mail composition. I do 'set
      editor=/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Macos/Vim'. Start mutt in
      Terminal.app. Begin composing a message, which takes you to
      MacVim-in-the-console.

      (1b) In the terminal, do "export
      PAGER=/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -". Note the dash at the
      very end. Then do "man ls".

      2. Whichever you chose, you'll be in MacVim-in-the-Console, either starting to
      compose a message or looking at the (mangled) man page for ls.

      3. Do ":gui"

      Expected behavior: the MacVim gui launches, and the Terminal waits until
      you're done with the Gui.

      Acutal behavior: Like the expected behavior, except for two things.
      First, a second instance of MacVim is activated, so that the Dock has two green
      diamond icons in it---the message you are now composing (or the manpage you are
      looking at) is within this second instance of MacVim. Second, the Terminal
      emits the following error message of some sort:

      2012-07-19 11:21:53.432 MacVim[66493:10b] *** CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port = 0x3803, name = 'org.vim.MacVim.ServiceProvider'
      See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.

      (In case the mail system botches that, it's two logical lines, with "See
      /usr..." being the start of the second one.)

      A while back I reported that I could this this behavior by following
      those steps, but only intermittently. Now it does it every single time.

      Observation: If you call MacVim-in-console from inside a bash or python script, everything works as expected.

      -gmn