13284Re: Compiling MacVim

  • Tim Gray
    Jun 19, 2012
      On Jun 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
      >Unclear about Xcode. Encountered other mentions of it in exploring
      >compiling. What does it do? I have Snow Leopard on a late 2009 vintage
      >MacBook. I keep Snow Leopard up to date. Might I have it already? If
      >not, where would I get it?

      Xcode contains the compiler you will need to compile programs, either by
      hand or with a package manager. You probably do not have it if you
      haven't installed it. You get it from Apple. Either in the App store
      or from the Developer website. I'm not sure if the App store works on
      10.6, of if the Xcode found there is compatible with 10.6. There is a
      package somewhere on the Apple website with just the command line tools
      needed for compiling, but I don't remember the link or name, and also
      don't know if it's compatible with 10.6.

      As far as package managers go, I wouldn't avoid them if they offer you
      tools that you want. I used macports and fink years ago to complement
      programs I had manually compiled and installed, but I see no reason not
      to use Homebrew now. It's matured greatly over the last couple of years
      and more or less just works now. It's also designed for minimal
      disturbance of the OS X ecosystem, so I see no reason to stay away.
      That being said, I'm not sure if it still supports 10.6. Look at the
      brew installation instructions for more detail:

      https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/wiki/Installation