13281Re: Compiling MacVim

  • Eric Weir
    Jun 19, 2012
      On Jun 18, 2012, at 3:03 PM, Chip Warden wrote:

      > Are you using a package manager on OS X (like MacPorts or Homebrew)? If so, the easiest way to compile MacVim is to use the package manager's tools and options. I use Homebrew, and thus compiling MacVim looks like this:
      > $ brew install macvim --HEAD --custom-icons --override-system-vim
      > I run this command every month or so and I am guaranteed to have the most up-to-date MacVim and Vim (really, MacVim is a GUI interface to standard Vim -- not taking anything away from Bjorn's awesome work).
      > I realized this adds an extra level of software to the process, but using a package manager makes compiling things so much easier.

      Thanks, Chip. No, I haven't been using a package manager. Once in seeking help on the Apple forums---I don't remember what the issue was---I was admonished to avoid them---don't remember the reason give either. Have any idea what that's all about?

      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA

      "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
      we borrow it from our children."

      - Chief Seattle.