13273Re: Does MacVim require separate installation of vim?

  • Ben Schmidt
    Jun 18, 2012
      On 13/06/12 7:49 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

      > Somehow, when I was getting started with vim, I ended up with a vim installation
      > to ~\ and a MacVim installation in \Applications. Before I started using
      > vim-addon-manager I installed plugins to the vim installation.
      >
      > If I'm using MacVim, do I actually need the separate vim installation? If not, and
      > if I had reason to do a manual installation of a plugin---not very likely, but I'm
      > curious---where would I put it?

      ~/.vim

      Only the runtime files shipped with Vim are stored in
      /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime. (The runtime
      files for the Mac OS X version of Vim are in /usr/share/vim/vim73 or
      similar.)

      In both cases, the user's runtime files go in ~/.vim.

      The user's vimrc belongs at ~/.vimrc and system ones vary in location.
      Issuing :version inside Vim can give you more information. :echo $VIM
      and :echo $VIMRUNTIME and :echo $HOME can help you understand the
      output, too.

      Ben.

      P.S. Probably best not to cross-post. I'm replying only on vim_mac, since this is
      a fairly Mac-specific question.