13255Re: Does MacVim require separate installation of vim?

  • Tim Gray
    Jun 13, 2012
      On Jun 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
      >You can tweak where vim-addon-manager installs plugins---and is itself
      >installed. I have mine going into ~\.

      You are more than welcome to do that, but other versions of vim are not
      going to look there by default... Is ~/ really better than ~/.vim/?

      Then again, I use the command line quite a bit, so the last thing I want
      is a ton folders and files cluttering up my home directory - it's bad
      enough as it is now. Vim related stuff can go in .vim, where I can
      ignore it unless I need to access it.

      >Yes, it was taking a closer look at the MacVim package than had
      >previously that led me to ask whether I needed a separate installation.
      >It appears I don't. In any case I don't have it. It's not in
      >\usr\local\bin.

      If you are running OS X, I would be shocked if you didn't have vim at
      /usr/bin/vim, with the site wide files for the copy of vim at
      /usr/share/vim. To repeat, the site wide files are separate from your
      user files. Don't install plugins into the site wide file location.
      The stuff in .vim IS NOT a separate installation. The stuff you find in
      /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime is more or less
      mirrored at /usr/share/vim/vim73. Those two sets of files ARE separate
      installations of vim; the first corresponding to MacVim, the second to
      default OS X. The exact path (/usr/share/vim/vim73) might be different
      if you are running an older version of OS X. 10.5 for example didn't
      have Vim 7.3, it had 7.2, so the location for runtime files was
      /usr/share/vim/vim72.

      /usr/local/bin is a common place that user installed software goes on
      Unix systems. If you use the Homebrew package manager on OS X, that's
      where it links programs to. If not, then you might not even have a
      /usr/local directory yet (or ever).

      >I take it, reasons for running the command line version aside, that
      >would not be true if all my plugins are installed by vim-addon-manager?

      It's only 'superfluous' for you because you are storing your plugins in
      a nonstandard location and not using some of the other features that
      make use of .vim. Or maybe you are using some of those features but
      just don't realize it. And if you wanted to add ANYTHING customized,
      outside of what vim-addon-manager provides, you'd have to put it in
      ~/.vim/ (unless you really reconfigured things). For example, if you
      add terms to the speller dictionary, they go in ~/.vim/spell. If you
      use the session.vim plugin to save sessions, it saves it's files in
      ~/.vim/session. Tweaked color themes go in ~/.vim/colors. Snipmate
      looks for snippets in ~/.vim/snippets. I could go on, but I think you
      understand. The way I use vim, there are certain settings and scripts
      that aren't provided by any existing plugins, and those go into ~/.vim,
      because that's where Vim looks for such things.

      MacVim expects to find things in ~/.vim, IF you choose to use those
      capabilities. There's nothing from stopping someone from running plain
      vanilla (Mac)Vim with no .vimrc or plugins or files in the ~/.vim
      folder, but the program still looks there for stuff. If you do decide
      to use those features, Vim and most plugins expect to store and find
      things in .vim. Notice that vim-addon-manager defaults to
      ~/.vim/vim-addons? You had to change it to make it use another folder.
      vim-addon-manager is a very well written plugin where the option to use
      a different folder has been expose to the end user - a lot of plugins
      don't provide that.

      >Yes, that's the default. But you can change it, and I have.

      Again, you are welcome to store your files where ever it pleases you,
      but unless you have real strong reasons for moving things out of .vim,
      I'd recommend leaving things in .vim. Including vim-addon-manager's
      plugins. Just because that's where Vim and most of the plugins that
      work with vim expect to find things.