13247Re: Does MacVim require separate installation of vim?

  • Eric Weir
    Jun 13, 2012
      On Jun 13, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Tim Gray wrote:

      > On Jun 13, 2012 at 05:49 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
      >> Somehow, when I was getting started with vim, I ended up with a vim installation to ~\ and a MacVim installation in \Applications. Before I started using vim-addon-manager I installed plugins to the vim installation.
      >
      > Do you have a Vim installation in ~/, or do you have your .vimrc and related files in ~/? They are two separate thigns. By the former, I mean the actual executable binary. If you have that, no, you don't need it. If it's the latter (.vimrc, plugins, etc.), yes that's where MacVim expects to find that stuff. All versions of vim are going to look in your home folder (~/) for configuration files, in addition to some other locations relevant for side wide configuration. But you should most likely stick with the home folder spot.

      Thanks for the clarification, Tim. I'm attaching a screenshot of my ~\.vim folders with all the folders open. It does not appear to me that I have the executable. All I see are remnants of plugins. [Including something that I suspect is the source of apparent conflicts regarding the current installation of a plugin in vim-addon-manager.]

      Until now I'd been under the impression that MacVim was just a front end that uses the files in the ~\.vim folder. Inspecting the contents of the MacVim package led me to suspect that in fact the vim files, executables and all, are in it. That the folders in ~\vim are superfluous.

      And yes, my .vimrc is in ~\. I'm very clear that it's needed and that that's where it belongs.

      >> If I'm using MacVim, do I actually need the separate vim installation? If not, and if I had reason to do a manual installation of a plugin---not very likely, but I'm curious---where would I put it?
      >
      > You would put it in ~/.vim/bundle if using any of the plugin managers that expect to find plugins in the bundle folder. If not using any plugin managers at all, not even pathogen, then you still put the files in ~/.vim, just distributed amongst the appropriate folders in ~/.vim, like ~/.vim/plugin, ~/.vim/syntax, etc.

      As indicated above, I use vim-addon-manager. I'll hang onto the ~\.vim folders in case for some reason I may want to do a manual install of a plugin.

      Thanks again.

      Sincerely,
      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA USA
      eeweir@...

      "Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

      - Amos Oz